Ford Ka 2002 1.3 Duratec
Problem: Engine fan running continuously, rough engine running, misfiring and / or difficulty to start.
Solution: This year Ka can suffer from water ingress to the PCM. Check the PCM connector pins for corrosion. Also check the wiring harness for the PCM in the engine bay is sealed correctly. Extra sealant has been used for the wiring harness since 12/2002.
Ford Ka 2000
Problem: Low brake fluid warning lamp comes on too early.
Solution: This may be due to brake fluid leaking at the connection between the rear brake hose and wheel cyclinder. The solution is to tighten to a revised torque. Check the hoses and cylinders and replace if necessary. The revised torque is 21.5 Nm for the Fiesta and Puma and 17.5 Nm for the Ka.
Ford Ka 1996 on Fiesta 1995 - 2001 1.3 Endura
Problem: Engine revs hang up when changing gear.
Solution: The problem could be a corrupt throttle position sensor (TPS). This is due to a poor electrical contact at the connector. The solution is to fit a revised sensor wiring loom and connector. A revised wiring loom has been fitted since 09/2001.
Ford Fiesta, Ka and Puma upto 1999
Problem: Smell of melted plastic and fan blower motor does not work on settings 1, 2 or 3.
Solution: This problem may be caused by a poor electrical contact of the blower motor resistor multiplug. The high current passing through the resistor may be the cause of the heat and subsequent melting multiplug. The solution is to fit a new blower motor resistor that has modified connectors that can withstand the high temperatures along with a new wiring loom to the resistor. A revised blower motor resistor has been fitted since 10/1999.
Ford Ka 1996 to 2000
Problem: Continuous central locking caused by water ingress.
Solution: Seal the hole behind the mirror sail and install a new outer weatherstrip and new wiring loom to prevent the water ingress from continuing.
Ford Fiesta 1995 to 1999, Ford Puma 1997 to 1999, Ford Ka 1996 to 1999
Problem: Water ingress in rear wheel cylinder.
Solution: This can cause sticking brakes and excessive noise from the rear and/or rear wheel block. Installing a rubber gasket around the wheel cylinder should alleviate the problem.
Ford Ka 1999
Problem: Failure or incorrect operation of the central locking.
Solution: Corroded or damaged pins in the door wiring harness connector may be to blame. These pins must be checked and cleaned or new ones must be installed if necessary. The cable grommet should be sealed with transparent silicone sealant to prevent more water ingress into the connector.
Ford Fiesta 1996, Ford Puma 1997 to 1999 and Ford Ka 1996 to 1999
Problem: Brake drag or brake pedal slow return.
Solution: May be caused by a mechanical problem in the front brake cross shaft and spring. It may lead to other problems such as, brakes operating without braking, front brakes heating up or smelling after only a short time, lack of acceleration or the need to make hard use of the accelerator.
To rectify these problems:
1. Decipher which brakes are dragging.
- If it is just the rear brakes, re-adjust the parking brake cable.
- If it is the front brakes only, go to step
- If all four brakes are dragging, re-adjust the parking brake cable and then go to step 2.
2. Both front bleed screws need to be loosened.
- A small amount of fluid will come out when the bleed screw is loosened if the brakes are dragging.
- Re-tighten the front bleed screws.
3. Make sure that the stop light switch on the pedal box is in the correct position.
- Set the switch so that a minimum of 1.5mm of the white portion of the switch is visible when the brake is off.
- Pull up on the brake pedal to check the setting. If set too low, the switch will ratchet up.
4. Raise the vehicle.
5. The cross shaft return spring should be checked, making sure that the return spring end coil is not jammed between the black bush and the cross shaft lever.
6.Lower the vehicle.
7. Take off the connecting linkage-servo operating/cross-shaft.
- Do not remove the two connecting linkage mounting bracket retaining nuts until after the spring is detensioned, just loosen them.
- Do not remove the connecting linkage mounting bracket until after the spring is detensioned.
- To make sure that the push rod fixing is not stiff, before removal of the servo actuator clevis pin and clip, move the servo forwards and backwards several times.
- Remove the cross-shaft and install a new one if the fixing is stiff. If it is free to move,continue with the steps.
- Fiesta only: do not remove the emission component mounting bracket.
- Make sure that the end coil of the sprng is not trapped under the edge of the bush after the spring is detensioned. Release it if it is.
- Do not detach or remove the LHS mounting bracket.
- Do not remove the cross-shaft from the vehicle.
8. Apply some grease to the inside of the cross-shaft RHS bearing.
9. Apply grease to the inside of cross-shaft LHS bearing, around the shaft.
10. Install all the components in reverse order.
11. Bleed the brake system.
12. Bleed the clutch system.
13. The vehicle needs to be road tested.
Ford Ka 1996
Problem: At large steering angles there is a droning noise coming from the power steering.
Solution: Caused by pressure variations in the power steering hydraulic system. Install a longer power steering high pressure line to reduce the noise level.
Ford Ka Fiesta 1996
Problem: Rear brake judder
Solution: The brake drum may have been deformed by the distortion of the wheel mating face as the wheel bolts are tightened. Install revised wheels and hub/drum assembly to rectify this.