Volvo xc90 fault code ECM/0095 ABS Service needed - help!!!

http://www.bba-reman.com/forums/Topic136316.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By toddy1064 - Thursday, May 09, 2013 9:10:45 AM
My first post, after spending quite some time doing searches to see if this is already mentioned.
We have a 2003 Auto diesel xc90 with 140k miles on it, full service history, that we are on the verge of selling having spent £4k in 2 years keeping it on the road.
It has the orange light on the dashboard saying "Anti Skid Service" and figure I cant sell it with that on the dash, so I took it to Lancasters Volvo dealership in Reading. They told me the error code they had was relating to a faulty ABS pump, they replaced this ~£400 and now say I need a new DEM ~£1600 as a new error code "ECM (or she could have said BCM?) 0095 - Communication between control units and communication with DEM".
As I am looking to sell the car, I would rather not pay £1600 on top of the £400 for the pump. I admit to not being convinced about the dealership - they have done shoddy work on the car previously removing the rear bumper to replace a parking sensor and putting bumper back on incorrectly but saying car was like that when I brought it in(!!!!!).

Does anyone know of an independent in the Reading area with the ability to decode errors accurately? Happy to travel up to 50 miles or so if it saves me £1600!

Is this a common fault?
Can I replace the DEM with a reconditioned unit?

In short, any advice as to how to enable me to get this XC90 so it is saleable asap and cost effectively would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Toddy
By Timbo - Thursday, May 09, 2013 9:25:15 AM
How far are you from Chippenham Wilts?

MRG would be the only lot I could recommend in that neck of the woods who will accurately diagnose the issue and quote you for repair.
By toddy1064 - Thursday, May 09, 2013 9:44:38 AM
Chippenham probably 90 minutes away - if none comes up with anything nearer I may be heading that way! Will see if I can pull their details from the web. Thanks.
By k333fer - Thursday, May 09, 2013 11:08:31 AM
Are you sure she didn't say cem ?
By johnnyvolvo - Saturday, May 11, 2013 10:42:43 AM
Hi

It seems a bit odd to have a fault with the ABS pump and then a fault with the CEM unit, lack of communication, the CEM unit is the main unit within the can net work (communication system to the vehicle), there was a fault on these units, or at least a rubber grommet that was ment to keep water out was fitted incorrectly and as a result water would enter the CEM unit causing faults in the electrical system, but this doesnt mean this is what at fault with your vehicle, and if the CEM unit was faulty with communication fault i think this would give faults with all units on the high speed net work, engine, gearbox and four wheel drive unit, or you would have problems communicating with these control units. On a whole these vehicles were very reliable, its just when they did go wrong the parts were so expensive. I do know of indendant Volvo garage with the equipment, but these are a good way from Reading, Im in Greater Manchester im afraid, If there is any other help i can think of i will let you know, or if you find any thing more out about the fault just post it.

thanks John
By toddy1064 - Tuesday, May 14, 2013 4:38:50 AM
Thanks John
I at least know some more questions to ask when I go back for more detail! Will update shortly.
Toddy