citroen xsara air bag lights on

http://www.bba-reman.com/forums/Topic50011.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By wayne - 6/2/2007 12:52:16 PM
hi. my sons 1999 citroen xsara 1.4 (kfx eng code) air bag lights on had my local garage check vehicle with snap on scanner and its shown fault code 164 ignition pretensioner no1 but their autodata cd does not mention any air bag codes. can anyone advise me what might be the problem i looked under the drivers seat and somebody has been there before me and snipped off the connector block and rejoined the wires back up thanks in anticipation. wayne.
By Angus - 6/2/2007 12:56:25 PM
Wayne

Tried looking under the passenger's seat? 

French car; pretensioner 1 is the L/H seat. [One of Cyril's many pearls of wisdom.]

A quick squirt of contact cleaner [WD40?] on the terminals always works for me.

By wayne - 6/2/2007 5:03:59 PM
THANKS FOR THAT ANGUS I WILL HAVE A LOOK TOMORROW I HAVE LOOKED UNDER PASSENGER SEAT AND THE WIRING CONNECTOR IS STILL ORIGINAL/INTACT SO I ASSUMED IT WOULD BE OK! I'LL LET YOU KNOW HOW I GET ON. WAYNE.
By wayne - 6/3/2007 3:20:01 PM
Angus looks like you were spot on i just pushed and pulled on all connectors under passenger seat started car and both air bag lights went out and so far stayed out thanks for that little gem even if it was via Cyril.I'll also let my garage know as well, its encouraging for them to know their investment in a code reader is a capable tool in the workshop.thanks again. wayne.
By HotAir - 6/3/2007 4:08:59 PM
Hi

done a few of these where the light comes back on after a few days, so i have made a perminant connection by cutting out the plug block and soldering the wires together and protecting them with heat shrink.

Ray

By CYRIL - 6/4/2007 4:16:36 AM
one should be careful of cutting the wires for this reason should the system not function you could be liable as you have modified the manufacturers system.

all the problems i have had in the pass have been over come by

1/moving the seat forword checking for free play in the cable and giving it alittle extra under the squab( you know the knee in the seat to get something from the rear one)

2/move the seat rearwards and recheck for freeplay

3/ fit a clip that is supplied by the dealer that holds the connector together

By wayne - 6/5/2007 5:25:15 PM
cheers.Hotair and Cyril i will now leave it alone and see if lights return and if they do at least i should have a good idea were to look thanks all three of you for replies.wayne