1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee ABS Light "FIXED"

http://www.bba-reman.com/forums/Topic52240.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Gromph - Thursday, August 02, 2007 1:06:33 AM
For awhile the abs light would come on for a few minutes then go off. It steadily stayed on longer and longer and now it is always on. The problem started about a year ago. I had the local jeep dealer read the error code, which they said was Pump motor failure. They also said that could mean it is either the pump motor, the abs control module, or the abs relay. So I started with the easiest thing and bought a relay from autozone. In the fuse/relay panel inside the passenger front kick panel there is 2 relays that are the same size and have the same pins as the one I bought, but they are not labeled. Does anyone know which one it is? I've been searching the internet for a diagram. Or is the abs relay possibly located some where else? I went ahead and tried the new relay in both spots with no effect on the abs light.

So next question, if it's not the relay, how can I test further to determine if it is the control module or the pump?

I ran across this page (which brought me to this forum)
http://www.bba-reman.com/content.aspx?content=jeep_cherokee_grand_abs_pump_module_commonly_failing_bba_repair

That says 99% of the time it's the control module, and you guys can fix them. How much does that cost?

More info on the vehicle it is a 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo with the 4.0 liter and automatic tranny.

Thanks!
By CYRIL (T) - Thursday, August 02, 2007 2:46:37 PM
Welcome to the BBa forum,

give Mark a ring at the above number re a repair of it

By Gromph - Monday, September 03, 2007 11:30:38 PM
Just to followup with my own thread in case someone else with the same problem runs across it. I went ahead and sent in the abs hcu to BBA. I just reinstalled it today and now the ABS light does not stay on. I hit the brakes on a gravel road and the abs brakes work great! Thanks BBA!
By CYRIL (T) - Tuesday, September 04, 2007 3:29:43 AM
No thank you, for letting us know the outcome