Zafira power steering

http://www.bba-reman.com/forums/Topic75341.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By r - November, 2008
Have a 2004 Zafira with intermittent loss of power steering

Have replaced battery and alternator to eliminate.The alternator fitted today is recon 70 amp and the one took off was 120 amp

On idle we have 14.5 volts .There are 3 small wires going to the pump the white/yellow has 8 volts and when this drops we loose power steering

Anyone know what could be switching off the white/yellow,or could it be that my alternator is too small output

Thanks

Russ

By dave_1 - November, 2008
Hi

Why fit a lower amp alternator?

Dave

By r - November, 2008
dave_1 (08/11/2008)
Hi

Why fit a lower amp alternator?

Dave

i didnt know there was 2 types untill i had old on off

Will get it changed Monday

By dave_1 - November, 2008
Hi

I would look at this when the correct alternator is fitted.

Dave

By topbloke - November, 2008
if you post some more details i will look at the wireing diagrams
By r - November, 2008
topbloke (09/11/2008)
if you post some more details i will look at the wireing diagrams

Its a 1.6   z16 engine,manual gear box

it can loose power steering even if its not moving it can be ticking over working fine then try again and the steering is heavy

thanks

Russ

By topbloke - November, 2008
the white/yellow wire comes/go's to the engine ecu via connector x120 which is next to the battery,  do you have any trouble codes ?, have had many faults with the ecu's on the zafira but not a power steering fault
By r - November, 2008
no codes and no warning lights on

Thanks

Russ

By GARY CAWTE - November, 2008
HAD ONE OF THESE AT WORK IT HAD ALL CORRECT VOLTAGES AND EARTHS TURNED OUT TO BE THE PUMP, IT IS POSSIBLE TO CHANGE WITHOUT REMOVING STEERING RACK, LOWER ENGINE DOWN ON MOUNTS QUITE EASY TO CHANGE.Smile
By jimfree - November, 2008
had one a few months back spoke to a vaux specalist and said need to make sure there is a supply from alt to pump of at least 8.5v to work ,think it was a blue/white wire,and the main earth @ bulk head common
quite easy to change with subframe droped
By r - November, 2008
correct alternator now fitted, earths cleaned and multiplug checked

still looses power steering after it has been ticking over for a few mins

would a faulty pump cause a loss of power on the white/ yellow wire?

Thanks Russ

By markc - November, 2008
Hi, when you say the wire looses power, do you mean it drops to 0v? Does this happen when the wire is not plugged into the pump it could be that the pump is intermittantly failing and shorting to ground. These pumps are notoriously bad but we can supply reconditioned units straight from the shelf if you need one.

Incidentally, 8V on the trigger wire should be fine, so long as you have good earth and power connections on the main wires you should be ok. We do know of alternator problems leading to the pumps becoming damaged, and occasionally we do get pumps back where the replacement has also been blasted by the alternator and died but so long as you have got a regular voltage, you shouldnt have a problem.

By r - November, 2008
Hi

wires were all together when tested and dropped to 0v

Thanks

Russ