Citroen Picasso "economy mode active"

http://www.bba-reman.com/forums/Topic90220.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By manrac - Monday, December 21, 2009 4:12:56 AM
As title it says in the display,car will not start! Turn ignition on all dash symbols come on after 15secs approx only battery light is on,car cranks but will not fire.Turn ignition off and remove keys battery symbol still illuminated.Is this a BSI fault,anything I can try to solve it or is it atrip to the dealer?
By GaryH - Monday, December 21, 2009 5:35:45 AM
Yes there is something you can try, but a few more vrhicle details may help!

fuel type? year? engine size?

By manrac - Tuesday, December 22, 2009 5:37:25 AM
Sorry GaryH,new to all this,the Picasso is a 55 plate 1.6 petrol,although I have seen this fault on a lot of variants of the Peugeot/Citroen group and never succeeded in starting any of them
By Angus - Tuesday, December 22, 2009 9:49:45 AM
manrac

"Economy mode" isn't a fault; the BSI has just disabled inessential circuits to preserve the battery's charge.

The moment that the car starts, then it clears automatically.  It has no effect on starting.

By Bookitty - Sunday, September 05, 2010 9:45:12 AM
I have this same problem, I have read all forums I can and they say leave it for 20 mins to an hour and then the car should start again, then run it for 2 hours so the battery is fully charged. Thing is I have left it for 8 hours and it just wont start! It doesn't say economy mode when I turn the car on...it would help if I got a manual when I bought the car Sad Would it help if I jump started the car and will it start again the next time I get in it? Please help Sad
By Robski - Sunday, September 05, 2010 9:57:37 AM
B

BIG NO on jump starting w00t
By Bookitty - Sunday, September 05, 2010 10:03:48 AM
So the jump starting wont work? Whats the best thing to do? take to a garage/get someone out? Or is there something I can do?
What will happen if I do try to jump start it? Will it break even more? :S
By Bookitty - Sunday, September 05, 2010 11:01:37 AM
Someone please help...going insane here Tongue
I am driving to Disneyland Paris on Saturday and need the car sorting! Maybe garage it is tomorrow :S Looks like another sleeples night :S
By Angus - Sunday, September 05, 2010 11:17:42 AM
Bookitty

People give their time free on here, as and when we can - we don't get paid to jump when ordered.

The "economy mode" warning has nothing to do with why the car won't start - it has only appeared because the battery has become less than fully charged from trying to start.  Jump starting can cause expensive damage, so should be avoided.

Let's start with the full details of this "car?"  Make; year; fuel type; engine size - and engine code if known.

When did it last run?  Was anything odd noticed then?  Was the engine warning light on? 

Did it cut out on its own, or just not start in the morning?

By Bookitty - Sunday, September 05, 2010 11:24:52 AM
I know I'm sorry I'm just worried that it's not going to be fixed and I have saved all my money to take my kids on holiday and now this happens :S

It's a citreon Picasso, 2000 (Xreg) Petrol, 1.6

It was lastnight me and a friend got some food and silly us sat in the car chatting with the radio on, the car then went into 'economy mode' so i left it a little while and tried starting but it wouldn't start, it tries but doesn't fire :S The orange light in the far right hand corner is now on, not sure if that is the engine light or not, but it wasn't on before.

Like the forums say leave it for an hour or so and the car should start, I left it for just over 8 hours and I think it has come out of 'economy mode' as it doesn't flash up now, but as I say it has the orange light on just before I turn the key to start it up.

Thank you soo much for your time and help Smile
By Robski - Sunday, September 05, 2010 12:12:52 PM
B

im confused by your wording,does it start or not ?

if the MIL [malfunction indicator lamp] is on then i suggest you take it to someone who has means of reading the fault code memory & able to interpret what this information means.

Even if the MIL is not on i would advise the same for a look into the live data of certain modules if not a global scan.

If you are looking for a 'silver bullet' fix then maybe you will find that in Disneyland Laugh Hehe [no offence] BigGrin
By Angus - Sunday, September 05, 2010 12:25:46 PM
Bk

Where's the car now?  Economy mode should only stop non-essential components from working - the electric windows etc.

Does the engine now turn over on the key normally - or do you just get a clicking sound? 

Did you have the ignition fully on all the time you were sitting?

By Bookitty - Sunday, September 05, 2010 12:29:25 PM
Thank you Rob, I will just get someone to it tomorrow :S Thanky ou though for all your help Smile I'm no sure what you mean by the 'silver bullet' comment but I forgive you Tongue You have tried to help me to the best of your knowledge :p
By Bookitty - Sunday, September 05, 2010 12:32:26 PM
The car is down the road outside my friends, but across from a junction so it does need moving :S When I went back to the car 8 hours later the electric windows worked together with the lights etc, maybe the battery is low?

The engine makes a clicking noise and then you turn it and it tries to start but doesnt. And no I didnt have the ignition on, was just so that we could listen to the radio :S
By Angus - Sunday, September 05, 2010 12:46:31 PM
Bk

If the electric windows now work, then the economy mode has cleared itself.

I'm still not sure if the engine is cranking over or not - do you know anyone that knows how to push start a car - as long as it's not an automatic?

By Robski - Sunday, September 05, 2010 1:00:00 PM
BK

thanks for the forgiveness BigGrin

so from what i can make out now the car does not start if it is outside a friends house & needs moving.

As Angus asks & believe me when it comes to PSA [French cars] he is the 'daddy' [disclaimer[he also does other manufacturer types BigGrin Laugh ]],does it just click or does the engine actually turn over ?

Also as the 'Guru' suggests get someone to push start & 'bump' the car off,once running it will need a good run round to charge the battery [if flat].

Then i would get the battery checked for servicabilty Wink

By Bookitty - Sunday, September 05, 2010 1:04:28 PM
Yes it is turning over but just not starting, push start could be a solution, I think this all has gone over my head though and in the end I am going to have to get it to a garage. Thank you soo much for all your time, I will just ring the roadside and they should be able to diagnose the problem Smile Then it's off to the garage I go! Just my typical luck it happens!

I may go and try to bumbstart it 1st and give it a good run around and then get it checked out if that works :p
By Robski - Sunday, September 05, 2010 1:17:56 PM
BK

if its turning over but not firing then maybe that is the best thing to do.Push starting will have the same effect as turning over by key.

Can you hear the fuel pump prime [buzz from the back of the car] when you turn ignition on ?
By Bookitty - Sunday, September 05, 2010 1:22:19 PM
Yes I still hear the ticking when turning the key Smile
By tudor - Sunday, September 05, 2010 3:11:12 PM
Don't these require 13.2v to operate engine ecu ???

Just a thought but if the battery has been drained by the radio is it now low on effiency (less than operating volts)

Maybe stick a charger on it for a couple of hours !!!

If it ran ok before the battery was drained it's unlikely that anything else has failed.

Usually when the eco mode appears, a jump off down the road does the trick !!!!! 

Dave :banghead:    :wave:

By Robski - Sunday, September 05, 2010 3:19:24 PM
tudor

not sure about the voltage [not doubting you,just saying personally] but a fair point Wink

The sticking the battery on charge sounds good to me Cool

By brod3 - Saturday, July 14, 2012 7:45:44 PM
Hi i have seen this problem many times before and i can guarantee you it will be either the crank sensor thats gone but this is rare and usually brings on the mil light.

I nearly always find it nearly always the fuel pump not working so no fuel from pump the vehicle wont start and until the vehicle starts you cant clear the message of eonomy mode active.

Make sure you have a fully charged battery and check the fuel pump dont be fooled by the fact its ticking see if its pumping fuel .

I have heard of these pumps giving up after people have been driving for miles then pulled in for fuel and then wont start after filling up or parking car for a few minutes then suddenly wont start again.

The only other things i have experianced are if battery goes really flat or is wrongly disconnected then this can either corrupt the bsi unit or even had it where keys are no longer recognised by the ecu but reprogramming usually cures it.
By Angus - Saturday, July 14, 2012 10:14:30 PM
brod

I'd hope that after two years it's now fixed..?
By brod3 - Sunday, July 15, 2012 3:56:25 PM
oh yeah lol ah well teach me to look next time
By K And R - Sunday, July 15, 2012 7:28:37 PM
brod

"oh yeah lol ah well teach me to look next time"

You must have looked around a lot to find that thread.

Kev.
By keith b - Monday, July 16, 2012 6:06:11 AM
Wonder if he got to disney!
By Francois - Wednesday, July 03, 2019 7:30:07 AM
Hi guys Francois here

I am sitting with a problem... All the wiring in my car is 100% but when I turn over the engine the car will suddenly switch the wipers o and

lights will go off on the dash... The car has that light on in the right hand corner of the cluster and economy mode is active...

I did realize the car blows fuse number F14 in the bonnetF15 inside as well as F4 inside

The vehicle is a citroen xsara Picasso 1.6 petrol
Year model is2004
By K And R - Wednesday, July 03, 2019 4:53:28 PM
Francois

"All the wiring in my car is 100% " how do you know have you checked every wire, checking for every one for continuity, short to + and -

and load carrying capability ?

Start a new thread with full details and the results of a FULL Global scan is you really want help.

Kev.
By Francois - Thursday, July 04, 2019 2:22:03 AM
I don't know how to start a new thread I'm no genius as the things lol It must have a short somewhere for it blows 3 fuses at once when trying to start it... The light on the dash goes crazy and the wipers work on its own... But then it cuts out and the dash dies
By CYRIL (T) - Thursday, July 04, 2019 2:55:36 AM
Go back the the home page.Select Problem and solutions
Top left POST TOPIC
click on that
You can now put your querie there.dont forget a heading