BBA-Reman Forums

Citroen C1 electric power steering not working

Posted By finick May, 2011
Add to Favorites0
finick
 Posted May, 2011
Forum Apprentice

Forum Apprentice - (126 reputation)Forum Apprentice - (126 reputation)Forum Apprentice - (126 reputation)Forum Apprentice - (126 reputation)Forum Apprentice - (126 reputation)Forum Apprentice - (126 reputation)Forum Apprentice - (126 reputation)Forum Apprentice - (126 reputation)Forum Apprentice - (126 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: June, 2013
Hi Guys

Citroen C1, VF7PMCFAC89137***

My mother-in-law's 2007 C1 (you can see why this is important Smile) had a warning lamp 'PS' illuminate a week or two back, followed swiftly by a complete failure of the power assistance.

She took it into a local garage who said it will need a new steering rack, steering column and ECU. She can't remember all they said to her, but she did remember the £800 for parts plus fitting, plus VAT quoted.

I found out about all this a couple of days ago.

I've never come across such a system before. I had a cursory look under the bonnet, but could not see any electrical connections or pipework leading to the rack. The vehicle is kept 50 miles away from me.

Can anyone tell me how this system works, please?

I note from a response to a similar problem with T.Ayago on this forum, that the Steering ECU can be rebooted. Apart from disconnecting the unit, is there any other way to reboot it?

It's not a huge car to search, but it would simplify things for me if you could tell me exactly where this ECU is situated.

What are the typical problems with this system and what should I be checking, please? I don't have direct access to diagnostic equipment.

This car is not yet 4 years old, this seems a very short life for such important equipment, but 10 months out of warrantee unfortunately.

Any assistance wil be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Paul

K And R
 Posted May, 2011
Forum Master Technician

Forum Master Technician - (12,829 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (12,829 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (12,829 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (12,829 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (12,829 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (12,829 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (12,829 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (12,829 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (12,829 reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 26 minutes ago
Finick

See common failures above.

Kev.

"If you dont KNOW how it works, don,t try to test or fix it"

finick
 Posted May, 2011
Forum Apprentice

Forum Apprentice - (126 reputation)Forum Apprentice - (126 reputation)Forum Apprentice - (126 reputation)Forum Apprentice - (126 reputation)Forum Apprentice - (126 reputation)Forum Apprentice - (126 reputation)Forum Apprentice - (126 reputation)Forum Apprentice - (126 reputation)Forum Apprentice - (126 reputation)

Kev,

Thanks for your response.

I had already looked there. It gives some details of remanufactured ECU, which is good to know, but does not answer any of my questions. I do not know if it needs a new/replacement ECU.

Before I start any investigation, I am trying to abide by your strap line; ie get to know how it works before trying to fix it.Wink

Paul

K And R
 Posted May, 2011
Forum Master Technician

Forum Master Technician - (12,829 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (12,829 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (12,829 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (12,829 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (12,829 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (12,829 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (12,829 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (12,829 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (12,829 reputation)

Paul

"I don't have direct access to diagnostic equipment"

EERRR

I don,t know how you expect to advance with-out the correct equipment,

Kev

May, 2011 by K And R
finick
 Posted May, 2011
Forum Apprentice

Kev,

I appreciate the point you make,which is why I made it clear I have no direct access to diagnostic gear.

I was in the car repair business for 37 years until I retired. I know that the days of fag packet and chewing gum repairs are long gone. However, that does not mean that no repairs can be effected without diagnostic equipment. I still have the skills to replace mechanical and electrical items.

The last thing I got help on from this forum was a P 106 Quicksilver. Intermittent hesitant running fault. Two top notch (ie expensive) local diagnostic centres were only able to tell me what I already knew, I had an intermittant fault with the ignition. Proposed solution, buy a new ECU.

With some assistance here with a wiring diagram and plug pin numbers, I was able to trace the problem to a wire from the EGR sensor to the ECU using only a 9v battery and a bulb. The problem wire was broken inside the insulation. Solution, a new length of wire and a spot of solder.

My purpose for posting was to ask where the steering ECU is situated. I can do visual checks and unplug/replug ECU to try a reboot.

I do not know how this system works, as I said before, but I find it very difficult indeed to believe the steering column, steering rack and ECU have all failed simultaneously, and I wish to avoid my mother-in law paying for unnecessary items.

Kind regards,

Paul

K And R
 Posted May, 2011
Forum Master Technician

Paul

You still really need to code read it as it will almost certainly be an internal controller fault and will come up as much , but the control unit is behind driver kick panel.

The quickest way to help your mother in law, is to remove the unit and send it for testing to BBA.

Kev.

finick
 Posted May, 2011
Forum Apprentice

Hi Kev,

Thanks, I'll follow your advice.

Kind regards,

Paul

photoandy
 Posted April, 2012
Saturday Job

Saturday Job - (1 reputation)Saturday Job - (1 reputation)Saturday Job - (1 reputation)Saturday Job - (1 reputation)Saturday Job - (1 reputation)Saturday Job - (1 reputation)Saturday Job - (1 reputation)Saturday Job - (1 reputation)Saturday Job - (1 reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
Last Active: April, 2012
Hi

My son has exactly the same problem, it appears a common fault with both the citreon c1 and peugeut model, the garage has checked and replaced the ecu and it still doesnt work, can you tell me if you found the answer, he is a student and it appears the garages are charging him and not fixing the problem

thanks
SB126
 Posted April, 2012
Forum Master Technician

Forum Master Technician - (1,602 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (1,602 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (1,602 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (1,602 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (1,602 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (1,602 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (1,602 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (1,602 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (1,602 reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday @ 6:10 PM
This post is ELEVEN MONTHS OLD so lets hope his mothering law hasnt been driving around without power steering that longw00t
Richard535
 Posted April, 2012
Forum Tea Boy

Forum Tea Boy - (37 reputation)Forum Tea Boy - (37 reputation)Forum Tea Boy - (37 reputation)Forum Tea Boy - (37 reputation)Forum Tea Boy - (37 reputation)Forum Tea Boy - (37 reputation)Forum Tea Boy - (37 reputation)Forum Tea Boy - (37 reputation)Forum Tea Boy - (37 reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
Last Active: October, 2013
Or at least if she has. then his hearing has as least given up by now so he can get some respite Smile

I've opened up yet another can of worms !

Reading This Topic

Expand / Collapse