BBA-Reman Forums

Vw Caravell Transporter Heater blower motor

Posted By mopoyser Monday, July 25, 2011 11:05:35 AM
Add to Favorites0
mopoyser
 Posted Monday, July 25, 2011 11:05:35 AM
Forum Tea Boy

Forum Tea Boy - (82 reputation)Forum Tea Boy - (82 reputation)Forum Tea Boy - (82 reputation)Forum Tea Boy - (82 reputation)Forum Tea Boy - (82 reputation)Forum Tea Boy - (82 reputation)Forum Tea Boy - (82 reputation)Forum Tea Boy - (82 reputation)Forum Tea Boy - (82 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Saturday, May 16, 2015 6:33:06 AM
Have got a 2001 VW Caravell in ( engine code ACV ).

I cannot get the blower  motor to work, it has the automatic panel. The blower in the rear works but not the front one.

Checked all the fuses, and can power up the motor, but I cant get a feed to the motor (black wire)

Is there a relay to control this somewhere? According to autodata there is, but I cant find it w00t

If i supply a feed to the Fan and operate the control it works and the speed varies.

I have heard that these control panels can go wrong? When you first turn the ignition on the whole panel flashes for a while before coming on, is this correct?

I read the codes with a launch and got 01273 Fresh air blower -V2

Thanks

Mark.

Crasher
 Posted Wednesday, July 27, 2011 4:57:05 PM
Forum Master Technician

Forum Master Technician - (4,192 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (4,192 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (4,192 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (4,192 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (4,192 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (4,192 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (4,192 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (4,192 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (4,192 reputation)

Group: Advanced Members
Last Active: Monday, November 11, 2019 5:53:12 PM

01273 Fresh air blower -V2-

Short circuit or open circuit in wiring or connectors to fresh air blower

Fresh air blower control unit -J126- defective

Blower defective

The power down the black wire comes from relay number 1 (upper main row, first on the left) on the fuse board which has the number 140 printed on top and is called component J254 (VW part number 701 959 141) and the relay is fed by fuse SB14 on the additional fuse plate under the relay plate, a 30 amp green fuse. Jumping points 4 and 8 (relay terminals 8 and 6 respectively) should reinstate power down the black wire. Alternatively try using output tests to activate the blower, if it does not run and you can make the blower operate by applying power directly I imagine blower control unit has failed. These are VW part number 1J0 907 521 and are the same as used on the Golf 4 where they often fail. It is located in the air box (has a red top) and has a spiky heat sink on the back for cooling

Vile Invention

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham.

W.H. Auden (1907-1973), A Curse:

Wednesday, July 27, 2011 4:58:16 PM by Crasher
johnny_quattro
 Posted Friday, September 15, 2017 2:10:21 PM
Saturday Job

Saturday Job - (6 reputation)Saturday Job - (6 reputation)Saturday Job - (6 reputation)Saturday Job - (6 reputation)Saturday Job - (6 reputation)Saturday Job - (6 reputation)Saturday Job - (6 reputation)Saturday Job - (6 reputation)Saturday Job - (6 reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
Last Active: Friday, September 22, 2017 12:28:30 PM
The gift that keeps on giving, six years later...

I came across this post by 'Crasher' after trying to track down an air conditioning fault on a friend's VW Caravelle with twin AC.
Despite having had two separate garage visits, it seemed like it was never going to be fixed. I tried the old trick of re-flowing the solder on relay 140 to no avail.
Took the whole rear apart trying to locate the spikey red metal hedgehog, and with the benefit of hindsight, managed to remove it by simply inserting a Philips screwdriver at the right angle to get the heater blower resistor out. That worked fine and warmed my hand up nicely.

The chap that had looked at it previously had said that he'd checked the relay (which he hadn't) and that the fan was working correctly and in his opinion it was the Climatronic module in the dashboard area that was at fault. I decided to order a new 140 relay from VW and was pleased to see when it arrived that the blade contacts seemed to be 'beefed up' with additional copper-coloured circles at the base? I popped the relay in and was then met with a flood of warmth in the vehicle. The friend I was helping had had to live with it for the last 9 months. He was as happy as a dog with two tails.

So I thought I'd take the time to register and pass on our sincere thanks for the information supplied in this six year-old post.
Thank you.
johnny_quattro
 Posted Friday, September 22, 2017 12:29:01 PM
Saturday Job

Saturday Job - (6 reputation)Saturday Job - (6 reputation)Saturday Job - (6 reputation)Saturday Job - (6 reputation)Saturday Job - (6 reputation)Saturday Job - (6 reputation)Saturday Job - (6 reputation)Saturday Job - (6 reputation)Saturday Job - (6 reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
Last Active: Friday, September 22, 2017 12:28:30 PM
http://www.bba-reman.com/forums/Uploads/Images/fb37cd6e-59c0-4b8b-be7d-1ac5.png

Testing VW RELAY 140 after removing the black plastic cover. I connected the relay to a car battery, and connected the red positive lead to thin blade terminal (marked 1) and the black negative lead to thin blade terminal (marked 3) in the above photo. The arched metal contact close to my thumb moved in and out successfully.

http://www.bba-reman.com/forums/Uploads/Images/634794a5-e82f-43cd-a352-2622.png
I left the red positive lead connected to thin blade terminal (marked 1) as before and the black negative lead to thin blade terminal (marked 9) in the above photo. The coil then energised and the braided metal contact plate to the left of my thumb moved in and out successfully.

As mentioned in my previous post, I'd already attempted to re-flow the solder. You can see this on the following photo.

http://www.bba-reman.com/forums/Uploads/Images/c4550919-9c2a-4b03-9cb1-877f.png

I tested for continuity on a multimeter and it beeped so I knew the connection was good. I suspect that something else on that printed circuit board (PCB) was not working correctly - possibly a resistor/diode type thingy, I'm not sure as I'm not an electrician or electronics expert. From what I could see, there are three red components on the left hand side, and I suspect that the top one is faulty, judging by the colour of it?

Anyway, I hope that this information and the photos help other people, in the same way that this post helped me solve a long outstanding problem.

Reading This Topic

Expand / Collapse