BBA-Reman Forums

VW Golf Mk5 Battery Drain Issues!!

Posted By Dan_pdvs 2/17/2012 8:37:30 AM
Add to Favorites1
Dan_pdvs
 Posted 2/17/2012 8:37:30 AM
Saturday Job

Saturday Job - (8 reputation)Saturday Job - (8 reputation)Saturday Job - (8 reputation)Saturday Job - (8 reputation)Saturday Job - (8 reputation)Saturday Job - (8 reputation)Saturday Job - (8 reputation)Saturday Job - (8 reputation)Saturday Job - (8 reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
Last Active: 1/8/2014 11:50:21 AM
Hi Folks long time reader here in the forum but first time post as kind of become a bit stuck,

Have An 05 Vw Golf 1.4 Fsi BKG Engine code, fitted new battery but has a battery drain of 0.44 amps, now when i disconnect the exciter wiring plug from the alternator the drain goes away. I have replaced the alternator and is still the same!

I cannot locate a wiring diagram so am unsure where to look next? Is it a battery monitoring issue? Instrument cluster? Not sure where to go next?

ANy Help be great!
McTech
 Posted 2/17/2012 12:08:01 PM
Forum Technician

Forum Technician - (823 reputation)Forum Technician - (823 reputation)Forum Technician - (823 reputation)Forum Technician - (823 reputation)Forum Technician - (823 reputation)Forum Technician - (823 reputation)Forum Technician - (823 reputation)Forum Technician - (823 reputation)Forum Technician - (823 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 hours ago
Are you locking the car and waiting for the all systems to shut down. Are there any other electrical faults on the car or aftermarket components fitted.

I do love cars, I do love cars, I do I do I do...
Crasher
 Posted 2/17/2012 7:07:22 PM
Forum Master Technician

Forum Master Technician - (3,286 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (3,286 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (3,286 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (3,286 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (3,286 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (3,286 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (3,286 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (3,286 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (3,286 reputation)

Group: Advanced Members
Last Active: Yesterday @ 7:14:58 AM
Open the drivers door, flick the lock to fool the conv the door is shut and watch the current drain. If it has not dropped after 5 mins pull fuses one by one. If the drain still disappears when you disconnect the alternator, the new alternator is US. I had FOUR genuine alternators from my TPS a few months back for a 1.6 Golf 4 before I got one that worked!

Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention...metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our Culture, chief woe of our Commonweal- W. H. Auden

Dan_pdvs
 Posted 2/18/2012 8:01:44 AM
Saturday Job

Saturday Job - (8 reputation)Saturday Job - (8 reputation)Saturday Job - (8 reputation)Saturday Job - (8 reputation)Saturday Job - (8 reputation)Saturday Job - (8 reputation)Saturday Job - (8 reputation)Saturday Job - (8 reputation)Saturday Job - (8 reputation)

No other elec faults except windows aren't working?? Have pulled all fuses and drain still there hence why I went to the alternator to check, with exciter plug disconnected the drain drops down to 0.016 within 35 mins, but when plugged in is when I get the drain. Looks like could well be a faulty Alternator! I try another and let u know how I get on!
Dan_pdvs
 Posted 2/24/2012 9:51:26 AM
Saturday Job

FiXED this one! Tried 2 more alternators and still the same, disconnected the ECM and instrument cluster and drain still coming and going when connecting and reconnecting the exciter wire plug! Found the main battery live feed from the alternator had melted into the exciter wire further back on the loom where it passes behind the exhaust manifold! Quick re wire and re route and all sorted!! Thanks for the help guys!

Reading This Topic

Expand / Collapse