BBA-Reman Forums

Vauxhall Astra 1.8 16V SRi (2001) ECU Fault

Posted By AstraNightmare 7/3/2012 1:08:19 PM
Add to Favorites0
AstraNightmare
 Posted 7/3/2012 1:08:19 PM
Saturday Job

Saturday Job - (6 reputation)Saturday Job - (6 reputation)Saturday Job - (6 reputation)Saturday Job - (6 reputation)Saturday Job - (6 reputation)Saturday Job - (6 reputation)Saturday Job - (6 reputation)Saturday Job - (6 reputation)Saturday Job - (6 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 7/5/2012 4:41:17 PM
Hay there.. Im hoping someone can help - as all the local garages around here seem to be taking me for a right ride!

I have a Vauxhall Astra 2001 (Y-Reg), 1.8 16V SRi. From looking on these forums, I guess you will need the Engine Number / Code - which I dont have until tommorow morning when I get the car back. Unless you can get it from Reg number somewhere online.

The car has done 105,000. Runs beautifully. Coming home on a 35 mile journey on Saturday, the car jolted, and subsequently the Engine Management light came on, AND the Traction Control light (ESC).
That being said, I pulled over - and turned the car off.. Got out and locked it. Got back in and the fault disappeared.

Drove it home and figured this was another intermittent Vauxhall issue. However, back into the car Sunday morning, and boom! Fault back on, this time - without the Traction Light. However, when on the return journey, they both came back on.

And they've remained on.

Fearing the worst I have popped it down to a 'trusted' local garage. They have charged me 35 pound to diagnose the problem. It was picking up some fault with the Ignition Coil and Major Fault with the ABS. I havent got the fault codes right now as the garage had closed before I finished work - so cant get it back until tommorow morning.
The diagnostic guy said however that when he moved the ECU box, it removed the faults immediately, but as soon as he moved it again - it came up with exactly the same faults.

He has told me that I need a brand new Engine ECU - and is quoting a total of around 500 pound.

That being said, approximately 40 miles away is a family member who runs a trustworthy garage, and he has told me it would be best for me to get the ECU Reconditioned instead of purchasing a brand new unit, and that there are plenty of companies out there that do this for half the cost of a new ECU.
He also told me he could probably get the job done for 250, if that.

I wanna know what the likely problem is? He muttered something about it misfiring and not on all cyclinders as well.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Lol.. Just want to get the problem fixed. I cant afford to buy another car, and I have not long replaced the Timing Belt (kit), all Brake Discs / Pads, Brake lines, and it was services 200 miles ago. As I said, no problems before this, car drives beautifully!

Any help is much appreciated.
K And R
 Posted 7/3/2012 1:37:21 PM
Forum Master Technician

Forum Master Technician - (12,627 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (12,627 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (12,627 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (12,627 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (12,627 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (12,627 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (12,627 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (12,627 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (12,627 reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 19 minutes ago
AN

Welcome to the BBA Forum BigGrin

"The diagnostic guy said however that when he moved the ECU box, it removed the faults immediately, but as soon as he moved it again - it came up with exactly the same faults"

To be honest that sounds unlikely unless it has a wiring fault not an ECU fault.

Engine code and fault codes and code reader used will help.

Kev.

"If you dont KNOW how it works, don,t try to test or fix it"
AstraNightmare
 Posted 7/3/2012 1:42:12 PM
Saturday Job

Saturday Job - (6 reputation)Saturday Job - (6 reputation)Saturday Job - (6 reputation)Saturday Job - (6 reputation)Saturday Job - (6 reputation)Saturday Job - (6 reputation)Saturday Job - (6 reputation)Saturday Job - (6 reputation)Saturday Job - (6 reputation)

He said he's got the printout of the codes, so I will post them on here first thing in the morning!

He said their was two codes - one about an injector. As I say the other to do with a major fault with the ABS. But I wouldnt of thought that would affect power and cause it to misfire?

I'll post the codes on here in the AM!
SB126
 Posted 7/3/2012 2:51:01 PM
Forum Master Technician

Forum Master Technician - (1,585 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (1,585 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (1,585 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (1,585 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (1,585 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (1,585 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (1,585 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (1,585 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (1,585 reputation)

Last Active: 59 minutes ago
The correct way forward would be for the garage to check the wiring to the ECU.

It is possible the pins inside the ECU have poor contacts with the PCB board.

If they can replicate the fault by moving the loom then it should be quite easy to prove

where the fault is..

And almost guarantee a fix for a guaranteed price.
AstraNightmare
 Posted 7/3/2012 3:29:35 PM
Saturday Job

The guy we went too successfully fixed an Astra ECU problem with my Nan's car a year ago.. But he was saying his diagnostic equipment isn't as 'in depth' as the chap he had used today, and he said he trusted him as he knew what he was on about.

Ill bring the print-outs back, and also write down what this chap actually did.
AstraNightmare
 Posted 7/5/2012 12:18:37 PM
Saturday Job

Here are the two and only fault codes.

CO256 - Engine Torque Reduction Malfunction
PO203 - Injector 3 Open Circuit

Have given it to me mate to work on, he told me I was glad I hadn't had the ECU replaced as in 30 years of working on cars, he has never replaced one or removed one!

Any ideas?

EDIT - Mate has advised replacing the Injector, as incorrect voltage is being shown. The injector is forcing it into Limp Home mode.
He hasn't had chance to look at CO256 - doesnt seem to be much online about it, but he did say fixing PO203 may fix CO256?
7/5/2012 12:28:11 PM by AstraNightmare
SB126
 Posted 7/5/2012 12:30:55 PM
Forum Master Technician

Forum Master Technician - (1,585 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (1,585 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (1,585 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (1,585 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (1,585 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (1,585 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (1,585 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (1,585 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (1,585 reputation)

Last Active: 59 minutes ago
AstraNightmare (7/5/2012)
Here are the two and only fault codes.

CO256 - Engine Torque Reduction Malfunction
PO203 - Injector 3 Open Circuit

Have given it to me mate to work on, he told me I was glad I hadn't had the ECU replaced as in 30 years of working on cars, he has never replaced one or removed one!

Any ideas?

EDIT - Mate has advised replacing the Injector, as incorrect voltage is being shown. The injector is forcing it into Limp Home mode.
He hasn't had chance to look at CO256 - doesnt seem to be much online about it, but he did say fixing PO203 may fix CO256?

I replaced 3 in the last month 2 on vauxhalls.
AstraNightmare
 Posted 7/5/2012 12:35:44 PM
Saturday Job

Are you aware as to whether that is causing the other fault code? There seems to be a lot online relating to the Injector fault, but very little to the other?
7/5/2012 12:36:23 PM by AstraNightmare
sparki1
 Posted 7/5/2012 2:34:40 PM
Forum Master Technician

Forum Master Technician - (1,000 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (1,000 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (1,000 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (1,000 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (1,000 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (1,000 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (1,000 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (1,000 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (1,000 reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago @ 6:45:46 PM
Sorry but anybody who says ecu s never need replacing, really has little knowledge on the subject. I usually see 3 or 4 a week and usually at least one of those is a vaux ecu.Take it to somone else it will be cheaper and quicker in the long run.
Disgusted
 Posted 7/7/2012 4:56:59 AM
Forum Master Technician

Forum Master Technician - (1,208 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (1,208 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (1,208 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (1,208 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (1,208 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (1,208 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (1,208 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (1,208 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (1,208 reputation)

Last Active: 9/29/2014 12:31:31 PM
The TCS fault code is present because the engine control system is incapable of regulating engine torque. With the engine fault fixed, the TCS will sort itself.

With P0203, scoping both pins of the injector and the pin where the the injector earth goes into the engine control module will find the problem. If he or she doesn't have an oscilloscope, they are not equipped to investigate this fault and you should go elsewhere before spending a lot of money on a part you may not need.

Reading This Topic

Expand / Collapse