BBA-Reman Forums

C3 Pluriel 55 reg, 40,000 miles, ECU and Steering Rack fail

Posted By casdix Tuesday, July 31, 2012 4:08:45 PM
Add to Favorites0
casdix
 Posted Tuesday, July 31, 2012 4:08:45 PM
Saturday Job

Saturday Job - (4 reputation)Saturday Job - (4 reputation)Saturday Job - (4 reputation)Saturday Job - (4 reputation)Saturday Job - (4 reputation)Saturday Job - (4 reputation)Saturday Job - (4 reputation)Saturday Job - (4 reputation)Saturday Job - (4 reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
Last Active: Tuesday, July 31, 2012 5:01:53 PM
I've owned my C3 pluriel for a year today. It had done 29000 miles when I bought it and is a 1.4 petrol model.

It sailed through an MOT last week, with only a headlamp bulb needing changing. I'd noticed a few times that the battery light had stayed on after it started or sometimes came on with 3 beeps mid journey. This didn't happen all the time, and I thought perhaps my battery was on it's way out.

It hadn't happened for a week or so when on Thursday evening I pulled out of a parking space to find the steering felt juddery. It was then fine until I got home, when I turned into my road it sort of locked mid turn, and then released. There were no warning lights on.

The following morning we called breakdown who said it appeared to be linked to the battery, as the steering was fine when he was revving the motor. He towed it to a citroen Garage for them to diagnose the fault.

On Friday evening they called to say we needed a new steering rack and possibly an ECU, as the steering rack may have shorted out the ECU. They quoted £2800 for repair, which is pretty close to what Parkers say the car is worth.

We have had it recovered to an independent Garage, in the hope we may be able to use reconditioned or second hand parts for a cheaper repair. The garage is going to do it's own diagnostics as they said it's unlikely to be both power steering and ECU.

Anyone come across this before? We asked the citroen garage if they could reset the codes as had read online that this might (even temporarily) solve the problem, but they said it wasn't possible.

Thanks in anticipation,

Carol
sparki1
 Posted Tuesday, July 31, 2012 4:19:40 PM
Forum Master Technician

Forum Master Technician - (1,137 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (1,137 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (1,137 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (1,137 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (1,137 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (1,137 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (1,137 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (1,137 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (1,137 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Thursday, June 13, 2019 4:14:02 PM
Probably just the dealer belt and braces approach just covering them selves just incase, I would just go for a rack, not uncommen

sparki
K And R
 Posted Tuesday, July 31, 2012 4:42:44 PM
Forum Master Technician

Forum Master Technician - (14,933 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (14,933 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (14,933 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (14,933 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (14,933 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (14,933 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (14,933 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (14,933 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (14,933 reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 48 minutes ago
Carol.

No battery light as such fitted, it,s a charge light (alternator).

http://www.bba-reman.com/catalogue/Products.aspx?category=737 for eps control unit.

Kev.

"If you dont KNOW how it works, don,t try to test or fix it"

Reading This Topic

Expand / Collapse