BBA-Reman Forums

2004 VW LT 35. Low oil pressure and low fuel level warning lights remain illuminated. Engine does...

Posted By hanger_on Friday, August 09, 2013 5:41:53 AM
Add to Favorites0

2004 VW LT 35. Low oil pressure and low fuel level warning lights...

hanger_on
 Posted Friday, August 09, 2013 5:41:53 AM
Saturday Job

Saturday Job - (4 reputation)Saturday Job - (4 reputation)Saturday Job - (4 reputation)Saturday Job - (4 reputation)Saturday Job - (4 reputation)Saturday Job - (4 reputation)Saturday Job - (4 reputation)Saturday Job - (4 reputation)Saturday Job - (4 reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
Last Active: Monday, August 12, 2013 1:03:11 AM
Hey,
Please would someone share a copy of, or link to the Wiring Diagrams for the above van?

Fault symptoms
Normal dashboard indicators illuminate when key turned to "start" position.
Engine fails to turn over.

When key returned to "run" position the oil pressure and fuel level warning lights remain illuminated. (Fuel level was "low" proir to switching off the engine)
Oil pressure and low fuel level warning light remain lit even with the key removed from the ignition switch.

Subsequent actions.
When battery disconnected and reconnected within 10 mins the warning lamps become lit again.
When battery dissconnected and reconnected after about 1 hour the warning lights are unlit, turning the key to the "start" and then "run" position results in warning lamps to be and remain illuminated (even with key removed...).

I have sequentially removed and refitted all fuses from beneath the steering column and drivers seat. I have also removed and refitted relays. Neither process caused the warning lights to extinguish.

Any ideas folks?

Cheers

Mark
Mad-Eric
 Posted Friday, August 09, 2013 7:35:59 AM
Forum Technician

Forum Technician - (573 reputation)Forum Technician - (573 reputation)Forum Technician - (573 reputation)Forum Technician - (573 reputation)Forum Technician - (573 reputation)Forum Technician - (573 reputation)Forum Technician - (573 reputation)Forum Technician - (573 reputation)Forum Technician - (573 reputation)

Group: Advanced Members
Last Active: Monday, November 18, 2019 7:31:15 AM
RichTT
 Posted Friday, August 09, 2013 3:40:02 PM
Forum Master Technician

Forum Master Technician - (1,559 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (1,559 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (1,559 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (1,559 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (1,559 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (1,559 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (1,559 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (1,559 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (1,559 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Wednesday, October 09, 2019 2:30:26 PM
hanger_on (8/9/2013)
Hey,
Please would someone share a copy of, or link to the Wiring Diagrams for the above van?

Fault symptoms
Normal dashboard indicators illuminate when key turned to "start" position.
Engine fails to turn over.

When key returned to "run" position the oil pressure and fuel level warning lights remain illuminated. (Fuel level was "low" proir to switching off the engine)
Oil pressure and low fuel level warning light remain lit even with the key removed from the ignition switch.

Subsequent actions.
When battery disconnected and reconnected within 10 mins the warning lamps become lit again.
When battery dissconnected and reconnected after about 1 hour the warning lights are unlit, turning the key to the "start" and then "run" position results in warning lamps to be and remain illuminated (even with key removed...).

I have sequentially removed and refitted all fuses from beneath the steering column and drivers seat. I have also removed and refitted relays. Neither process caused the warning lights to extinguish.

Any ideas folks?

Cheers

Mark

Just out of interest......What are you going to check with this wiring diagram?
hanger_on
 Posted Friday, August 09, 2013 5:22:47 PM
Saturday Job

Saturday Job - (4 reputation)Saturday Job - (4 reputation)Saturday Job - (4 reputation)Saturday Job - (4 reputation)Saturday Job - (4 reputation)Saturday Job - (4 reputation)Saturday Job - (4 reputation)Saturday Job - (4 reputation)Saturday Job - (4 reputation)

Thanks Mad-Eric,

Thats a really useful website. I think I managed to grab the diagrams I needed before my 1 hour ticket expired.
I really appreciate you taking the time to point me in a useful direction.

cheers

Mark
hanger_on
 Posted Friday, August 09, 2013 5:35:52 PM
Saturday Job

Just out of interest......What are you going to check with this wiring diagram?

Hey Supertec,
Clearly the oil warning and fuel level warning lamps are getting a supply.
I'm thinking that this supply would ordinarily be isolated when the ignition switch is in the "off" position.
So I'd like to know what contacts are in the circuit between the warning lamps and the battery and that may be "stuck". This may (hopefully) or may not, give me a clue as to why the starter motor solenoid fails to "click" when the ignition switch is turned to the "start" position.

Hope this explains my thoughts. Please feel free to ask again or comment, especially if you think I'm barking up the wrong tree.

cheers

Mark
RichTT
 Posted Saturday, August 10, 2013 3:29:38 PM
Forum Master Technician

Forum Master Technician - (1,559 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (1,559 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (1,559 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (1,559 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (1,559 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (1,559 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (1,559 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (1,559 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (1,559 reputation)

Last Active: Wednesday, October 09, 2019 2:30:26 PM
OK.

So, if removing the battery stops the lights coming back on, it isn't going to be "something stuck".

Have you had it running at all and checked the battery and charging system?
matt__t
 Posted Saturday, August 10, 2013 4:01:56 PM
Forum Technician

Forum Technician - (491 reputation)Forum Technician - (491 reputation)Forum Technician - (491 reputation)Forum Technician - (491 reputation)Forum Technician - (491 reputation)Forum Technician - (491 reputation)Forum Technician - (491 reputation)Forum Technician - (491 reputation)Forum Technician - (491 reputation)

Last Active: Thursday, June 11, 2015 1:51:00 PM
There is no click at starter motor but have you checked to see if you have voltage and good earths when cranking.

Were the warning lights ok before it stopped starting?

Matt
horace4831
 Posted Wednesday, August 28, 2013 7:17:22 PM
Saturday Job

Saturday Job - (1 reputation)Saturday Job - (1 reputation)Saturday Job - (1 reputation)Saturday Job - (1 reputation)Saturday Job - (1 reputation)Saturday Job - (1 reputation)Saturday Job - (1 reputation)Saturday Job - (1 reputation)Saturday Job - (1 reputation)

Last Active: Wednesday, August 28, 2013 7:10:26 PM
While researching the exact same problem I came across several replies on other sites that suggest that a broken engine main earth strap is a common problem giving the symptoms we are experiencing. Worth a look as it's a quick cheap fix! It's probably located at the gearbox bell housing and is likely to be a heavy braided strap (or possibly insulated) between there and the vehicle chassis. Good luck...!

Reading This Topic

Expand / Collapse