BBA-Reman Forums

2002 Mercedes 210 E Class E320 V6 Petrol, Tiptronic is not tiptronic-ing !!!!, thoughts please

Posted By Algi Monday, October 28, 2013 2:25:37 PM
Add to Favorites1
Algi
 Posted Monday, October 28, 2013 2:25:37 PM
Forum Apprentice

Forum Apprentice - (125 reputation)Forum Apprentice - (125 reputation)Forum Apprentice - (125 reputation)Forum Apprentice - (125 reputation)Forum Apprentice - (125 reputation)Forum Apprentice - (125 reputation)Forum Apprentice - (125 reputation)Forum Apprentice - (125 reputation)Forum Apprentice - (125 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Friday, November 02, 2018 8:13:36 AM
Hi all, thanks for reading.

2002 E class 210 (facelift) estate with V6 3200cc petrol lump in it. Only covered 48000mls.

Auto gearbox is automatic-ing lovely.

I think theres a little problem with the tiptronics.

Short fault description is that the gearbox wont increment up and down manually, by nudging the gear lever to the left or right, it always favours D (Drive)

Long description is this:

As I understand it, when D (Drive) is selected, it uses gears 1 thru 5. (5 speed automatic). Theres a readout near the speedo to tell you whats selected.

When travelling, say at 60mph, if you then nudge the gear lever to the left, the box should change down a gear, nudge again and down another gear. Nudge to the right to come back up again until D appears in the display near the speedo. Should also only let you manually select a lower gear if it's happy to do so, 1st gear at 100mph wouldn't do it much good!!!!!.

If I nudge this one the display does alter from D to 4th gear, the box does not change down, and the display always goes back to D when the gear levers returned to its rest position in D (Drive).

If I hold the lever over to the left the display will quickly increment down D to 1st gear, gearbox still not changing, and as soon as I let go, it's straight back to D. It just loves D.

I think thats about covered it, would appreciate any thoughts, even better, a remedy.

My puddled brain and gut feeling is telling me that maybe theres a micro switch stuck, the one thats connected to the right nudge position perhaps.

Thanks again, just had a call for evening meal

McTech
 Posted Tuesday, October 29, 2013 7:44:28 AM
Forum Master Technician

Forum Master Technician - (2,359 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (2,359 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (2,359 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (2,359 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (2,359 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (2,359 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (2,359 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (2,359 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (2,359 reputation)

Last Active: 1 hour ago
Any fault codes on transmission and gear selector?

Have you checked for oil leak into multiplug at transmission?

I O, I O, its off to work I go!
Algi
 Posted Tuesday, October 29, 2013 12:55:47 PM
Forum Apprentice

Forum Apprentice - (125 reputation)Forum Apprentice - (125 reputation)Forum Apprentice - (125 reputation)Forum Apprentice - (125 reputation)Forum Apprentice - (125 reputation)Forum Apprentice - (125 reputation)Forum Apprentice - (125 reputation)Forum Apprentice - (125 reputation)Forum Apprentice - (125 reputation)

Last Active: Friday, November 02, 2018 8:13:36 AM
Thanks to those who replied.

I got a bit further today, it may well be a mechanical problem with the gear lever, when in D (Drive), it seems to far over to the right hand side, only by a knats c**k, but enough to upset things.

I took the car for a drive and nudged the gear shift to the left hand side to select a lower gear, keeping pressure on the gear lever so it could not fully spring return to its D (Drive) position.

Hey presto it worked as it should, holding 4th or 3rd or 2nd or 1st .

Shall have a good look at the gear selector mechanics, if possible.

So, work in progress.

Reading This Topic

Expand / Collapse