BBA-Reman Forums

Brexit....the fallout.

Posted By Robnorthwest Saturday, June 25, 2016 11:40:55 AM
Rated 5 stars based on 1 vote.
Add to Favorites0
Robnorthwest
 Posted Saturday, June 25, 2016 11:40:55 AM
Forum Technician

Forum Technician - (685 reputation)Forum Technician - (685 reputation)Forum Technician - (685 reputation)Forum Technician - (685 reputation)Forum Technician - (685 reputation)Forum Technician - (685 reputation)Forum Technician - (685 reputation)Forum Technician - (685 reputation)Forum Technician - (685 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Tuesday, March 13, 2018 5:07:55 PM
I'm amazed no-one has commented on this momentous decision by us Brits to ditch the EU.
it's the best thing to happen in GREAT BRITAIN since I became old enough to vote.

I voted out, and I'm glad I did. I don't give a hoot if it adversely affects me in the short term because as with every other major political event since records began, the affected country always recovers.
It's worth the short term pain to ensure the long term gain.

Stuff the boxheads and all who want to remain in the EU. We won't all perish because we told them where to go.
CYRIL (T)
 Posted Saturday, June 25, 2016 12:07:12 PM
Forum Master Technician

Forum Master Technician - (7,044 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (7,044 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (7,044 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (7,044 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (7,044 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (7,044 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (7,044 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (7,044 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (7,044 reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 hours ago
Strange enough so did I.There is only one problem.
Artical 50 has not been envoked if the new PM does not then we are stuck with it.
I have noticed that there is petition going for another one.
Will it be a case of referendum after referendum until its changed to favour staying in.

Regards

Cyril

FORUM Administration Group
Blackdog
 Posted Saturday, June 25, 2016 4:17:48 PM
Forum Technician

Forum Technician - (796 reputation)Forum Technician - (796 reputation)Forum Technician - (796 reputation)Forum Technician - (796 reputation)Forum Technician - (796 reputation)Forum Technician - (796 reputation)Forum Technician - (796 reputation)Forum Technician - (796 reputation)Forum Technician - (796 reputation)

Last Active: 4 hours ago
Just wondering now if the border checkpoints are going to go back up between northern and Republic of Ireland? Customs everywhere and smugglers flat out!!!😩

Assumption is the mother of all f😨😱k up's!!!!!
Thema
 Posted Sunday, June 26, 2016 4:50:16 AM
Forum Master Technician

Forum Master Technician - (4,731 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (4,731 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (4,731 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (4,731 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (4,731 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (4,731 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (4,731 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (4,731 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (4,731 reputation)

Last Active: Monday, March 30, 2020 1:21:14 PM
I voted out as well. I was undecided until David Cameron made his efforts to gain some flexibility in our arrangements and it became obvious that the EU was not giving anything away at all. After that I made my mind up.

The problem now is that I think a lot of leave voters are going to be dissapointed with the time scale of any changes coming.

Peter
CYRIL (T)
 Posted Sunday, June 26, 2016 6:06:09 AM
Forum Master Technician

Forum Master Technician - (7,044 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (7,044 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (7,044 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (7,044 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (7,044 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (7,044 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (7,044 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (7,044 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (7,044 reputation)

They have already started petition for another referendum.The way I see it this will carry on until they get what want .
A pity .
But when the young of today are grand parents. The children are going to ask this question .
WHY ARE THEY CALLED DICTATORS.

Regards

Cyril

Trovs
 Posted Sunday, June 26, 2016 12:55:22 PM
Forum Technician

Forum Technician - (291 reputation)Forum Technician - (291 reputation)Forum Technician - (291 reputation)Forum Technician - (291 reputation)Forum Technician - (291 reputation)Forum Technician - (291 reputation)Forum Technician - (291 reputation)Forum Technician - (291 reputation)Forum Technician - (291 reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago @ 4:38:49 AM
They cant seriously consider the petition, it would make a mockery of democracy.
SB126
 Posted Sunday, June 26, 2016 2:03:55 PM
Forum Master Technician

Forum Master Technician - (3,230 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (3,230 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (3,230 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (3,230 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (3,230 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (3,230 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (3,230 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (3,230 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (3,230 reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
Last Active: Yesterday @ 2:52:32 PM
The BBC is still biased towards the remain side, they still seem to think the decision is reversible.
CYRIL (T)
 Posted Sunday, June 26, 2016 3:34:54 PM
Forum Master Technician

Yeh true.Until the PC People get their way this will go on and on and on.
WE HAVE MADE THE CHOICE GOOD OR BAD lets get on with it.
Europe aint going to stop trading with that would be suicide.

Regards

Cyril

Sunday, June 26, 2016 3:36:08 PM by CYRIL (T)
Disgusted
 Posted Monday, June 27, 2016 3:03:48 AM
Forum Master Technician

Forum Master Technician - (1,416 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (1,416 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (1,416 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (1,416 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (1,416 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (1,416 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (1,416 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (1,416 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (1,416 reputation)

Last Active: Monday, June 18, 2018 11:17:51 AM
Whatever side you're on, democracy has happened and we are where we are.

I think we'll be in for a bit of short term pain for long term gain.

Some of the EU fan club (including the FT and BBC) were moaning about the dip in financial markets- firstly, we're not actually out of the EU- nothing has actually changed yet except the opinion of the British public is known. Secondly, if you keep an eye on financial markets, they've only dropped to where they were in February. Thirdly, the drop in value of the pound is seen as a big negative, and it obviously makes foreign imports and holidays more expensive (unless, like me, you stocked up on Euros a year ago), but it also improves the competitiveness of home-grown products both here and abroad. In fact it was the strength of the pound through the 1990s that led to turbulent times within the BMW-owned Rover Group- (hence why later Rovers started using Valeo headlamps rather than Lucas, along with numerous other components, to attempt to reduce the cost of the car in Sterling).

Investors are aware of this, as the gains in Rolls Royce and GlaxoSmithKline on Friday demonstrate.

As for the future, it makes an enormous difference what deal we negotiate with the European Union. As has been said (and was confirmed by the head of the BDI German trade body), we're not going to stop trading with Europe- they sell us just as much as they buy from us. It's pretty much a certainty that we'll see some sort of free trade deal, but whether there are limits, membership fees or conditions, we'll have to see.

I voted out, for a number of reasons- firstly, I think we should be able to choose who makes decisions, and the EU is not a democracy. If anything, it's antidemocratic, when you look at the number of European Commisioners who have been awarded the post after losing elections in their own countries (so you're expressly rejected as a leader, and end up being higher than anyone).

Secondly, I think as a country we need to make our own decisions that benefit ourselves. We don't have a trade deal with Australia because an Italian agricultural union has opposed it over a tomato conflict. We can't arrange our own because we're part of the European Union. I don't see things like this as being to our country's benefit.

Thirdly, I feel the EU is extremely inefficient and we get poor value for money from it. I can see the benefits of EU scientific research funding and agricultural subsidies, but it's only our money we sent over in the first place, cut in half and with a note saying what we need to spend it on. I heard one figure that there are over 10,000 people employed by the EU earning over £70k a year. Who are these people, why do we need so many, and what are they doing to justify this pay packet?

Fourthly, I feel the EU is an example of "cronyism" where most decisions are made based on back-scratching loyalty, mostly (but not always) in favour of big business over ordinary people and small businesses. The TTIP would only make this more-so.

Lastly, the protectionism that the EU instills over companies within it theoretically keeps jobs going, but in reality just makes businesses uncompetitive outside the EU and excludes some of the world's poorest people, such as African farmers, who, struggling to get round EU import rules, tarrifs and limits, decide to give up coffee/vegetables and plant illegal drugs instead.

Imagine your local motor factor was very expensive, but in order to keep them going your council said you had to buy your parts from them. It keeps the factors open, but you now struggle to compete with the garage in the next town who aren't subject to the same rules- that's how EU protectionism works.

Personally, I'm in no way in favour of "chucking all the foreigners out" or shutting the doors completely, although I think a slightly firmer grip on immigration would not necessarily be a bad thing. The EU's immigration policy is arguably totally racist, bearing in mind a totally unqualified European would have priority over, for example, an Indian doctor.
Monday, June 27, 2016 3:23:19 AM by Disgusted
miketribe
 Posted Monday, June 27, 2016 3:36:23 AM
Forum Technician

Forum Technician - (859 reputation)Forum Technician - (859 reputation)Forum Technician - (859 reputation)Forum Technician - (859 reputation)Forum Technician - (859 reputation)Forum Technician - (859 reputation)Forum Technician - (859 reputation)Forum Technician - (859 reputation)Forum Technician - (859 reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
Last Active: Monday, March 30, 2020 2:10:58 AM
Good points, well made.

Mike

Being in business would be fine, if we didn't need customers.

Reading This Topic

Expand / Collapse