BBA-Reman Forums

Renault Clio B Hazard lights won't turn off.

Posted By floomat Wednesday, August 03, 2016 3:20:37 AM
Add to Favorites1
floomat
 Posted Wednesday, August 03, 2016 3:20:37 AM
Saturday Job

Saturday Job - (4 reputation)Saturday Job - (4 reputation)Saturday Job - (4 reputation)Saturday Job - (4 reputation)Saturday Job - (4 reputation)Saturday Job - (4 reputation)Saturday Job - (4 reputation)Saturday Job - (4 reputation)Saturday Job - (4 reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
Last Active: Tuesday, August 16, 2016 4:57:46 AM
Hello, i have a problem with my Clio B (2003).

A few weeks ago the hazard lights turned on sporadic.The error occured for the first time when it was really hot outside (~30°C), but vanished after a short drive. Since then it occured irregularly when it was warm. I assumed a bad contact or the hazard switch and checked these, but both seems OK, also i already changed the hazard switch and the hazard lights flash when i pull the switch off the plug. The hazard lights turned on when the car just was parked in the sun and didn't move...so i think it's not a loose contact or something like that.

Current state is that the hazard lights won't turn off anymore at all, i pulled the fuse for the indicators so i can drive normally but driving without indicators is not allowed in my country. So i only use the car for short trips atm (for example to work).

The connection of the Hazard switch goes directly to the UCH PIN 31 (LED) and 29 on P201.(big connector with green/brown connection heads)
I think that there is some component broken inside the UCH. I'm an Electrician and possible could fix that on my own but i have no circuit plan of it.
Would it be possible to get a circuit plan of the UCH, just of the hazard switch parts? I was not able to find a broken component without a plan.

What should normally be connected to PIN29 at the UCH/ PIN3 at the Hazard switch? I found something that there should be a 70mV Measure Voltage, Mine jumps between 30mV and 400mV.

I already was at a garage but they couldn't find anything else and said i had to change the UCH which will cost me about 500€ and must be reprogrammed to the car by a renault technician for another ~200€.... im not able to spend so much money in this old car, as i already spend 1000€ a month ago to get the TÜV for 2 Years.

Otherwise to this issue the car is in an excellent state, no problems at all and it would be really really sad when this banal issue can't be fixed easily somehow...

If you need further information please don't hesitate to contact me.

Best regards
Flo
SB126
 Posted Wednesday, August 03, 2016 8:15:11 AM
Forum Master Technician

Forum Master Technician - (3,226 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (3,226 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (3,226 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (3,226 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (3,226 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (3,226 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (3,226 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (3,226 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (3,226 reputation)

Last Active: 1 hour ago
Would it be possible to get a circuit plan of the UCH, just of the hazard switch parts? I was not able to find a broken component without a plan.

What is the status of the hazards and indicators in live data. i think pin 29 just pulls a processor pin low,

and that processor in turn operates a SSR to activate the flashers.
columbo
 Posted Wednesday, August 03, 2016 11:49:08 AM
Forum Technician

Forum Technician - (340 reputation)Forum Technician - (340 reputation)Forum Technician - (340 reputation)Forum Technician - (340 reputation)Forum Technician - (340 reputation)Forum Technician - (340 reputation)Forum Technician - (340 reputation)Forum Technician - (340 reputation)Forum Technician - (340 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Friday, January 17, 2020 6:48:38 AM
no quick fix or workaround, send uch off for repair. much cheaper than replacement.

had many repaired.

bless the french.

oh and one more thing.............give it a wash.
Blackdog
 Posted Wednesday, August 03, 2016 3:09:45 PM
Forum Technician

Forum Technician - (790 reputation)Forum Technician - (790 reputation)Forum Technician - (790 reputation)Forum Technician - (790 reputation)Forum Technician - (790 reputation)Forum Technician - (790 reputation)Forum Technician - (790 reputation)Forum Technician - (790 reputation)Forum Technician - (790 reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday @ 2:41:51 PM
See these all the time, some with hazard faults some with one side indicating all the time. We de pin the indicator wires from the control unit and wire them to a standard 3 pin flasher unit. Not ideal but it's a 1 hour job and when done huge savings and happy customers. Only way we can save the car from scrap!

Assumption is the mother of all f😨😱k up's!!!!!
Wednesday, August 03, 2016 3:11:16 PM by Blackdog
floomat
 Posted Thursday, August 04, 2016 5:18:48 AM
Saturday Job

Saturday Job - (4 reputation)Saturday Job - (4 reputation)Saturday Job - (4 reputation)Saturday Job - (4 reputation)Saturday Job - (4 reputation)Saturday Job - (4 reputation)Saturday Job - (4 reputation)Saturday Job - (4 reputation)Saturday Job - (4 reputation)

Thanks for the replys, every single idea is a huge help!

SB126 (03.08.2016)

What is the status of the hazards and indicators in live data. i think pin 29 just pulls a processor pin low,
and that processor in turn operates a SSR to activate the flashers.

Thanks for the reply, what do you mean with "in live data"? i have no renault clip to check things, just OBD2 which will not give me much information somehow.
So when pin 29 is open, how does the processor know if there is no switch at all or the switch is not pressed?
Does the hazard lights go off when there is no switch plugged in? I currently can't test this situation as the hazard lights are always on atm..
Shouldn't this pin be pulled up on the circuit to prevent this issue? A floating pin on a processor seems to be a big fault by renault...

This means the processor may be the problem? Can this be changed somehow or is it programmed to the car?
It would be very curious if the processor has a problem only on this single pin/action, every else is working flawlessly.

Is one of the Relais located on the UCH related to the hazard lights?

columbo (03.08.2016)
no quick fix or workaround, send uch off for repair. much cheaper than replacement.
had many repaired.
bless the french.

Do you know how much it would cost to repair it?
Where do i have to send it?
The BBA-Reman website does not let me send an Enquiry somehow, it always give me the response "feedback send fail".
I already sent a mail to them but didn't receive an answer yet.

Blackdog (03.08.2016)
See these all the time, some with hazard faults some with one side indicating all the time. We de pin the indicator wires from the control unit and wire them to a standard 3 pin flasher unit. Not ideal but it's a 1 hour job and when done huge savings and happy customers. Only way we can save the car from scrap!

That was my idea too, but than the hazard lights won't work and thats not allowed in Germany.
If i would build up a circuit on my own to control all of this it would be really complex and no 1hour job...
But it would be possible and the best choice to fix this problem with low cost.
Do you have a circuit plan for this maybe? And can recommend me a flasher unit?
Thursday, August 04, 2016 5:29:46 AM by floomat
shaws
 Posted Thursday, August 04, 2016 5:52:29 AM
Forum Apprentice

Forum Apprentice - (239 reputation)Forum Apprentice - (239 reputation)Forum Apprentice - (239 reputation)Forum Apprentice - (239 reputation)Forum Apprentice - (239 reputation)Forum Apprentice - (239 reputation)Forum Apprentice - (239 reputation)Forum Apprentice - (239 reputation)Forum Apprentice - (239 reputation)

Last Active: Thursday, January 02, 2020 12:16:41 PM
if you know somebody with truecode they can virginise a s/hand uch to re-configure
Blackdog
 Posted Sunday, August 07, 2016 5:04:46 AM
Forum Technician

Forum Technician - (790 reputation)Forum Technician - (790 reputation)Forum Technician - (790 reputation)Forum Technician - (790 reputation)Forum Technician - (790 reputation)Forum Technician - (790 reputation)Forum Technician - (790 reputation)Forum Technician - (790 reputation)Forum Technician - (790 reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday @ 2:41:51 PM
No sorry I've no circuit plan for it I just wire them back to old ways. 3 pin flasher from an old scrap car such as corsa b. Live and earth to it then de pin the wire at the uch going to indicator stalk, depin both wires at uch returning from indicator stalk and depin both wires going to the actual indicators. Join the left indicator wire from the stalk to the left indicator same for right and at least you can drive to work giving signals!
(There is one left pin and one right pin out of uhc. Each controls one side of car. Front, rear, wing and dash telltale.)
If you really needed hazards you could add switch at some point.
Pretty straight forward for an electrician. Finding correct pins takes the most time.

Assumption is the mother of all f😨😱k up's!!!!!
Sunday, August 07, 2016 5:06:30 AM by Blackdog
floomat
 Posted Tuesday, August 09, 2016 9:37:12 AM
Saturday Job

Just want to let u know that i fixed it for now.

I found this solution while searching for something completly different.

http://www.renaultforums.co.uk/17-electronics/463785-clio-uch-controlchip-%2A%2A%2A-fixed-%2A%2A%2A-2.html#post2738346

I changed the 1nF Caps and its back working normal, thanks this guy for reverse engeneering this UCH thing.

best regards and thanks anyway for the nice help Smile

Reading This Topic

Expand / Collapse