BBA-Reman Forums

Peugeot 406 and battery charge fault, motor problem etc.

Posted By teknik_kim Wednesday, October 05, 2016 2:26:35 AM
Add to Favorites0
teknik_kim
 Posted Wednesday, October 05, 2016 2:26:35 AM
Saturday Job

Saturday Job - (9 reputation)Saturday Job - (9 reputation)Saturday Job - (9 reputation)Saturday Job - (9 reputation)Saturday Job - (9 reputation)Saturday Job - (9 reputation)Saturday Job - (9 reputation)Saturday Job - (9 reputation)Saturday Job - (9 reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
Last Active: Sunday, February 12, 2017 4:39:43 AM
Hi

My car is a Peugeot 406 TS4 2.2i from 2001 (with BSI) with 290.000km on it.

Three weeks ago I got an error saying "Battery charge fault". And sure enough, the alternator wasn't charging my battery. I replaced it with a new OEM (Rollco from Ebay) and now I measure 14.5 volts on the battery.
But I still get the "Battery charge fault" in the display. The battery symbol in the instrument cluster never lights up, no matter what position the key is in or if the engine is running or not. It also didn't light up with the old defective generator.
And also, my ventilation and AC isn't working (but this is apparently normal with the battery charge fault).

My car also suffers from a number of other faults, all of them have begun within the last 5-6 weeks(!). Before this It had NO faults at all.

List:
Motor problem with injector (intermittent open circuit) on cylinder 4. P0204, I have switched injector with cylinder 1 which didn't move the problem from cylinder 4.
Secondary air pump problem (blows a fuse). P0413 / P0410. I haven't found this pump yet, any clues?
Intermittent cooleant temperature problem (gauge drops to 0 and car displays flashing STOP sign).

Any ideas?

I have done the following:
checked earth/ground points in engine bay and driver side under dash/trim. Motor ground looks good.
Checked the wiring harness in the engine bay, but not found any damage.
Verified function of all removable relays (removed them and tried their function) from engine bay fuse box and also by the fuse box under the steering wheel.
Checked engine bay fuse box for corrosion on terminals.
Checked the big harness multiplug under the battery, but terminals looked good inside.

Any help is appreciated!

-Kim.
miketribe
 Posted Wednesday, October 05, 2016 2:46:57 AM
Forum Technician

Forum Technician - (845 reputation)Forum Technician - (845 reputation)Forum Technician - (845 reputation)Forum Technician - (845 reputation)Forum Technician - (845 reputation)Forum Technician - (845 reputation)Forum Technician - (845 reputation)Forum Technician - (845 reputation)Forum Technician - (845 reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday @ 10:49:02 AM
I have done the following:
checked earth/ground points in engine bay and driver side under dash/trim. Motor ground looks good.
Checked the wiring harness in the engine bay, but not found any damage.
Verified function of all removable relays (removed them and tried their function) from engine bay fuse box and also by the fuse box under the steering wheel.
Checked engine bay fuse box for corrosion on terminals.
Checked the big harness multiplug under the battery, but terminals looked good inside

Well, you seem to like old Peugeots, but anyway here goes.

How did you check the earth points in engine bay and under dash? What makes the motor ground LOOK good?

How did you check the engine harness?

How did you verify the function of the relays?

How did you check the big harness multiplug terminals? Again, what made them look good?

Mike

Being in business would be fine, if we didn't need customers.
Wednesday, October 05, 2016 2:47:44 AM by miketribe
teknik_kim
 Posted Wednesday, October 05, 2016 3:47:23 AM
Saturday Job

Saturday Job - (9 reputation)Saturday Job - (9 reputation)Saturday Job - (9 reputation)Saturday Job - (9 reputation)Saturday Job - (9 reputation)Saturday Job - (9 reputation)Saturday Job - (9 reputation)Saturday Job - (9 reputation)Saturday Job - (9 reputation)

Last Active: Sunday, February 12, 2017 4:39:43 AM
Well, you seem to like old Peugeots, but anyway here goes.

I refuse to comment on this ;-)

How did you check the earth points in engine bay and under dash? What makes the motor ground LOOK good?

I have measured the resistance through the joints. And the ones in the engine bay I have disassembled and cleaned. And inspected the crimping of the wires.

How did you check the engine harness?

A visual inspection.

How did you verify the function of the relays?

Using my trusty DMM and a 12V power supply I verified continuity to the terminals (NC, NO etc).

How did you check the big harness multiplug terminals? Again, what made them look good?

I disassembled the connectors as much as possible to look for obvious corrosion in the terminals. The terminals looked clean and shiny.
K And R
 Posted Wednesday, October 05, 2016 5:18:18 AM
Forum Master Technician

Forum Master Technician - (15,171 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (15,171 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (15,171 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (15,171 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (15,171 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (15,171 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (15,171 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (15,171 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (15,171 reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 2 hours ago
kim

What fault codes are in the BSI ? What is live data telling you ?

Kev.

"If you dont KNOW how it works, don,t try to test or fix it"
SB126
 Posted Wednesday, October 05, 2016 12:35:35 PM
Forum Master Technician

Forum Master Technician - (3,220 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (3,220 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (3,220 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (3,220 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (3,220 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (3,220 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (3,220 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (3,220 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (3,220 reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago @ 3:28:20 AM
I have measured the resistance through the joints

Resistance testing is pretty useless unless you have an open circuit and you have disconnected both ends

of the loom.

CYRIL (T)
 Posted Thursday, October 06, 2016 3:22:22 AM
Forum Master Technician

Forum Master Technician - (6,926 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (6,926 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (6,926 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (6,926 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (6,926 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (6,926 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (6,926 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (6,926 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (6,926 reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 4 hours ago
I think you missed golden moment when you swapped over the injectors.Did you get live reading on that cylinder injector and then see if the data stayed the same.after it was the changed.

Regards

Cyril

FORUM Administration Group
Thursday, October 06, 2016 3:24:47 AM by CYRIL (T)

Reading This Topic

Expand / Collapse