BBA-Reman Forums

Mercedes w220 s320 cdi ESP Button innefective

Posted By StevieCI Friday, April 26, 2019 4:33:36 AM
Add to Favorites1
StevieCI
 Posted Friday, April 26, 2019 4:33:36 AM
Saturday Job

Saturday Job - (2 reputation)Saturday Job - (2 reputation)Saturday Job - (2 reputation)Saturday Job - (2 reputation)Saturday Job - (2 reputation)Saturday Job - (2 reputation)Saturday Job - (2 reputation)Saturday Job - (2 reputation)Saturday Job - (2 reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
Last Active: Tuesday, May 14, 2019 8:00:41 AM
Hi to all. Im a newbie and am at my wits end.My car a 2002 S320 cdi has just failed the mot on the ESP Button not turning off the ESP and not showing the warning lamp on the instrument cluster when button is pushed.On pre start up the necessary lights Do light up and go off when the engine starts ??Has anyone ant ideas ?
Thanks in Advance for info......Stevie
Thema
 Posted Saturday, April 27, 2019 2:44:27 AM
Forum Master Technician

Forum Master Technician - (4,618 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (4,618 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (4,618 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (4,618 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (4,618 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (4,618 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (4,618 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (4,618 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (4,618 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 1 hour ago
If I've understood correctly the light comes on with the ignition and then goes out (and stays out) when the engine is running and the car is moving?
Whether the on/off button works or not is not an MOT issue so I can't see your problem. What wording has been given as the reason for failure, and there should be some numbers between square brackets following the words. Let us know those and maybe I can understand what the tester thinks the fault is.

Peter
McTech
 Posted Saturday, April 27, 2019 11:49:51 AM
Forum Master Technician

Forum Master Technician - (2,393 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (2,393 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (2,393 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (2,393 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (2,393 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (2,393 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (2,393 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (2,393 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (2,393 reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday @ 11:27:12 AM
Thema (4/27/2019)
If I've understood correctly the light comes on with the ignition and then goes out (and stays out) when the engine is running and the car is moving?
Whether the on/off button works or not is not an MOT issue so I can't see your problem. What wording has been given as the reason for failure, and there should be some numbers between square brackets following the words. Let us know those and maybe I can understand what the tester thinks the fault is.

Peter

totally agree...

I O, I O, its off to work I go!
andymac
 Posted Saturday, April 27, 2019 2:59:15 PM
Forum Technician

Forum Technician - (428 reputation)Forum Technician - (428 reputation)Forum Technician - (428 reputation)Forum Technician - (428 reputation)Forum Technician - (428 reputation)Forum Technician - (428 reputation)Forum Technician - (428 reputation)Forum Technician - (428 reputation)Forum Technician - (428 reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday @ 4:34:43 PM
I haven't been a tester for 9 years. When I saw the original post I was somewhat surprised and thought that the switch was not a testable item, however I mentioned it to the man that does my tests and he tells me it is testable, although he did not understand why. Time to get the testers manual out.

andymac
Thema
 Posted Sunday, April 28, 2019 2:08:13 AM
Forum Master Technician

Forum Master Technician - (4,618 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (4,618 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (4,618 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (4,618 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (4,618 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (4,618 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (4,618 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (4,618 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (4,618 reputation)

OK it looks like I may have been wrong! There is a reason for failure (sec.7.12.d) "ESC switch damaged or not functioning correctly" but I have never come across it before or been told to test the switch operation.
I'll try and get some guidance on this and come back.

Peter
Thema
 Posted Sunday, April 28, 2019 8:15:38 AM
Forum Master Technician

Well I've checked and it does seem that I was talking b######s. Not for the first time and I shouldn't think for the last either!
The ESP/ESC or whatever the manufacturer cares to call it switch operation (if fitted) IS a testable item now! If you're not sure how it should work you're supposed to consult the vehicle handbook but I would say it should normally bring up a warning light when disengaged.
So, for StevieCI, I would say first thing is to see if live data shows the switch operating and if there are any DTC's in the system for ESP and/or ABS.
I apologise if I've misled anybody but it does seem to be a little known one.

Peter
Sunday, April 28, 2019 8:16:33 AM by Thema
andymac
 Posted Sunday, April 28, 2019 4:48:10 PM
Forum Technician

Forum Technician - (428 reputation)Forum Technician - (428 reputation)Forum Technician - (428 reputation)Forum Technician - (428 reputation)Forum Technician - (428 reputation)Forum Technician - (428 reputation)Forum Technician - (428 reputation)Forum Technician - (428 reputation)Forum Technician - (428 reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday @ 4:34:43 PM
Peter.

It is difficult to keep up to date with every change in the testers manual. Some of the small changes sneak through. When I was a tester I was also the AE. responsible for 3 other testers and obviously I was responsible for ensuring that they were aware of any changes. These days (for the last 9 years), I have to rely on my local tester to keep me informed of any changes. I don't know about yourself, but the biggest issue I've had this year is explaining to customers why their vehicle has failed smoke emissions this year when it has always passed previously, because they are now tested to the ID plate and not default settings.
At our age the job gets harder but I'm sure we'll keep soldiering on.

andymac

Reading This Topic

Expand / Collapse