BBA-Reman Forums

How many of us feel that our business (whether as an employee or owner) needs MOT's to be viable?

Posted By Thema Friday, November 08, 2019 1:40:23 PM
Add to Favorites1

How many of us feel that our business (whether as an employee or...

How many of us feel that our business (whether as an employee or...
How many of us feel that our business (whether as an employee or owner) needs MOT's to be viable?

Thema
 Posted Friday, November 08, 2019 1:40:23 PM
Forum Master Technician

Forum Master Technician - (4,731 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (4,731 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (4,731 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (4,731 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (4,731 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (4,731 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (4,731 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (4,731 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (4,731 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Monday, March 30, 2020 1:21:14 PM
Just interested in how we all feel about this. After a few days I'll explain why I ask.
Trovs
 Posted Friday, November 08, 2019 2:49:50 PM
Forum Technician

Forum Technician - (291 reputation)Forum Technician - (291 reputation)Forum Technician - (291 reputation)Forum Technician - (291 reputation)Forum Technician - (291 reputation)Forum Technician - (291 reputation)Forum Technician - (291 reputation)Forum Technician - (291 reputation)Forum Technician - (291 reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago @ 4:38:49 AM
I work on my own and don't have mot facilities.I have enough work but it might bring even more if I could offer it.
McTech
 Posted Saturday, November 09, 2019 6:08:03 AM
Forum Master Technician

Forum Master Technician - (2,477 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (2,477 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (2,477 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (2,477 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (2,477 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (2,477 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (2,477 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (2,477 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (2,477 reputation)

Last Active: Sunday, March 29, 2020 5:34:28 PM
My story is on here in black and white.

MOT's bring in more work - sometimes too much. They are unpredictable and reactive.

If managed correctly they should be profitable.

But I don't regret getting rid of my VTS status at all.

Mt

I O, I O, its off to work I go!
Thema
 Posted Saturday, November 09, 2019 6:16:54 AM
Forum Master Technician

Forum Master Technician - (4,731 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (4,731 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (4,731 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (4,731 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (4,731 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (4,731 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (4,731 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (4,731 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (4,731 reputation)

So I'll take @Trovs and @McTech as not needing tests to have a viable business then. For myself although I get fed up doing them they do undoubtedly bring money in and. maybe more importantly, allow me to offer a full service to my customers. That said I don't do tyres or any bodywork but just about anything else.
CYRIL (T)
 Posted Saturday, November 09, 2019 6:42:34 AM
Forum Master Technician

Forum Master Technician - (7,044 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (7,044 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (7,044 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (7,044 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (7,044 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (7,044 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (7,044 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (7,044 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (7,044 reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 1 hour ago
Thema.Mot does make more work it can also bring agro at times.
When it does it has ago at your reputation.
If you want to increase yourwork load tthen do this.
Car in for service.
Put on ramp do a visual check ,note things that are are needing attention.
Price and ring Customer.
Carry on with the job its in for PLUS the extra work.
You should be able to sell an extra hr or two honestly.
It does work .and we never did Mots just put them out to a reliable workshop.

Regards

Cyril

FORUM Administration Group
Saturday, November 09, 2019 6:43:30 AM by CYRIL (T)
stevieturbo
 Posted Saturday, November 09, 2019 5:07:18 PM
Forum Apprentice

Forum Apprentice - (123 reputation)Forum Apprentice - (123 reputation)Forum Apprentice - (123 reputation)Forum Apprentice - (123 reputation)Forum Apprentice - (123 reputation)Forum Apprentice - (123 reputation)Forum Apprentice - (123 reputation)Forum Apprentice - (123 reputation)Forum Apprentice - (123 reputation)

Last Active: Friday, February 07, 2020 3:16:00 PM
Perhaps a slightly misleading question ?

But I think it's pretty certain, if MOT's were not compulsory, more owners would leave their cars to get in an even worse state than many already are.

Doesnt matter who is doing the MOT, but there should be some sort of independent inspections for vehicle condition, as people absolutely would neglect their vehicles. They do so even with MOT's being compulsory
CYRIL (T)
 Posted Sunday, November 10, 2019 4:11:43 AM
Forum Master Technician

Forum Master Technician - (7,044 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (7,044 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (7,044 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (7,044 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (7,044 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (7,044 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (7,044 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (7,044 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (7,044 reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 1 hour ago
Quite agree. The powers to be dont think of it that way ,by exempting cars from Mot And tax.If you look at lincolnshire there are cars coming back on the road as daily transport to work.
Plus putting back the polution that was dropping.

Regards

Cyril

FORUM Administration Group
Thema
 Posted Sunday, November 10, 2019 5:24:11 AM
Forum Master Technician

stevieturbo (11/9/2019)

But I think it's pretty certain, if MOT's were not compulsory, more owners would leave their cars to get in an even worse state than many already are.

Doesnt matter who is doing the MOT, but there should be some sort of independent inspections for vehicle condition, as people absolutely would neglect their vehicles. They do so even with MOT's being compulsory

Perhaps it's time for me to explain why I asked. I 100% agree with stevieturbo and I'm not for one minute suggesting that testing should stop, in fact as Cyril said I see no reason for excluding older cars from it either!
No, I asked because I can see the present MOT test system changing drastically in the the next few years. Accuse me of wearing a tin foil hat if you want but looking at the new rules for connected equipment (and don't fool yourself that they won't become compulsory for everyone quite quickly!), the DVSA wanting ANPR cameras in the workshop, the fact that the maximum permitted test fee hasn't changed in many years and then wonder how viable testing remains as a business proposition with this extra investment required to simply carry on.
I can easily imagine that the whole testing system could be handed over to one, or maybe a few, franchised operations who will be the only ones allowed to test. I'm thinking somewhere like Halfords, or ATS although I've heard (unofficially) that Tesco's expressed an interest. At that point DVSA could set the rules and just retire from the game altogether leaving the franchisee(s) to self police the scheme. Also you might want to think that if you don't test yourself are any of these set-ups going to be doing trade rates for what is basically competitors?
So I was just wondering how many think that IF that happened how many small, local garages would just close down?
I might not have explained this as clearly as I should but I've got old and cynical enough to see it coming.

Peter
Sunday, November 10, 2019 5:26:40 AM by Thema
stevieturbo
 Posted Sunday, November 10, 2019 5:26:02 AM
Forum Apprentice

Forum Apprentice - (123 reputation)Forum Apprentice - (123 reputation)Forum Apprentice - (123 reputation)Forum Apprentice - (123 reputation)Forum Apprentice - (123 reputation)Forum Apprentice - (123 reputation)Forum Apprentice - (123 reputation)Forum Apprentice - (123 reputation)Forum Apprentice - (123 reputation)

Last Active: Friday, February 07, 2020 3:16:00 PM
Some of the very old/classic cars they are exempting from MOT.....really it is pretty crazy.

I've seen quite a lot of such cars, and the owners who try and work at them. The last thing they need is to be free of inspections, regardless of them not being on the road very often.

Perhaps at a push drop it to a 2 yearly test for them, but given the MOT is so easy to pass anyway, there should be little excuse for not having it.

Having no inspections at all is just silly.
McTech
 Posted Sunday, November 10, 2019 8:58:54 AM
Forum Master Technician

Forum Master Technician - (2,477 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (2,477 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (2,477 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (2,477 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (2,477 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (2,477 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (2,477 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (2,477 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (2,477 reputation)

Last Active: Sunday, March 29, 2020 5:34:28 PM
Thema (10/11/2019)
stevieturbo (11/9/2019)

Perhaps it's time for me to explain why I asked. I 100% agree with stevieturbo and I'm not for one minute suggesting that testing should stop, in fact as Cyril said I see no reason for excluding older cars from it either!
No, I asked because I can see the present MOT test system changing drastically in the the next few years. Accuse me of wearing a tin foil hat if you want but looking at the new rules for connected equipment (and don't fool yourself that they won't become compulsory for everyone quite quickly!), the DVSA wanting ANPR cameras in the workshop, the fact that the maximum permitted test fee hasn't changed in many years and then wonder how viable testing remains as a business proposition with this extra investment required to simply carry on.
I can easily imagine that the whole testing system could be handed over to one, or maybe a few, franchised operations who will be the only ones allowed to test. I'm thinking somewhere like Halfords, or ATS although I've heard (unofficially) that Tesco's expressed an interest. At that point DVSA could set the rules and just retire from the game altogether leaving the franchisee(s) to self police the scheme. Also you might want to think that if you don't test yourself are any of these set-ups going to be doing trade rates for what is basically competitors?
So I was just wondering how many think that IF that happened how many small, local garages would just close down?
I might not have explained this as clearly as I should but I've got old and cynical enough to see it coming.

Peter

If I can borrow your TF hat for a moment. I see a race to the bottom, "get training - get this, get that!" The rise of the robots are coming! I have just done my ADAS training - part of my Master Tech Qual. Why? I can't afford the equipment, during the training - myself and fellow trainees argued over which set-up to buy - whose calibration certificates would be accept by the insurers. etc etc. Then I read an industry white paper on how projector headlamps are the next big thing to be put on cars (these will enable the car to project its own calibration image on a suitable surface. We're racing toward autonomous cars - why? Who asked for their freedom to drive a car to be taken away?

I saw a few years ago when I was involved with the AA's pilot garage network, that the whole aftermarket garage industry is being assessed and primed for picking.

Maybe its not a bad thing for MOT's to be done at a separate venue/business a' La' TUV etc in europe. I feel that stricter tests, emissions especially will come fast and furious as the perceived need to get ICE power off the roads is hammered into the public psyche. This would lead to more cheating by those who cannot afford to upgrade - software deletes and hacking becoming the cheaper fix of choice. Therefore more "security" of the process will be required. ie get rid of the weakest link the MOT tester's "discernment"

Oh bollocks I'm ranting now!

Grumpy old man...Mt

I O, I O, its off to work I go!

Reading This Topic

Expand / Collapse