BBA-Reman Forums

Intelligent braking system

Posted By denbo Monday, January 13, 2020 12:43:08 PM
Add to Favorites1
denbo
 Posted Monday, January 13, 2020 12:43:08 PM
Forum Apprentice

Forum Apprentice - (238 reputation)Forum Apprentice - (238 reputation)Forum Apprentice - (238 reputation)Forum Apprentice - (238 reputation)Forum Apprentice - (238 reputation)Forum Apprentice - (238 reputation)Forum Apprentice - (238 reputation)Forum Apprentice - (238 reputation)Forum Apprentice - (238 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 14 hours ago
I got talking with a young chap at the MOT station i use. We got on the subject of intelligent braking! One question popped up, if you had just done a repair on a vehicle equipped with this, "how would you test it". We threw a few things into the mix, but just ended up getting silly. But we had a good laugh. What would you guys do.
Thema
 Posted Monday, January 13, 2020 1:59:01 PM
Forum Master Technician

Forum Master Technician - (4,731 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (4,731 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (4,731 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (4,731 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (4,731 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (4,731 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (4,731 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (4,731 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (4,731 reputation)

Last Active: Monday, March 30, 2020 1:21:14 PM
That's, to me at least, a very interesting question! Short of risking damage to a customers car I think that if the system is functional with no recorded faults you just have to assume that, if necessary, it will work.
A bit like how do you know, I mean really KNOW, that an SRS system will work in an accident?

Peter
Monday, January 13, 2020 4:11:54 PM by Thema
McTech
 Posted Monday, January 13, 2020 2:37:06 PM
Forum Master Technician

Forum Master Technician - (2,477 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (2,477 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (2,477 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (2,477 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (2,477 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (2,477 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (2,477 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (2,477 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (2,477 reputation)

Last Active: Sunday, March 29, 2020 5:34:28 PM
It depends on what aspect of the system you may have repaired.

Just replaced discs and pads - then normal test/bed in procedure you would do with any car.

If you have affected any other part of the ADAS then a recalibration and system scan.

Then you can drive it a wall really fast... (scrub that)

If in doubt refer to manufacturer's procedures.

Mt

I O, I O, its off to work I go!
Thema
 Posted Monday, January 13, 2020 4:18:05 PM
Forum Master Technician

Forum Master Technician - (4,731 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (4,731 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (4,731 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (4,731 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (4,731 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (4,731 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (4,731 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (4,731 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (4,731 reputation)

That's a fair point McTech. IF you've worked on any of the sensors involved then some form of calibration is going to be necessary. A bit beyond anything I've had to consider yet. But, yeah, it'll come!
It does make me wonder if all the places doing insurance crash repairs are actually up to this sort of work? I freely admit I'm not but if someone gets their car back all shiny and new looking after that "small" front end smack how can they know that all the systems are now working effectively?
Mind you, maybe they never did, hence the repair in the first place? Smile
Um, the last sentence was a joke. Sort of.

Peter
Monday, January 13, 2020 4:19:03 PM by Thema
Blackdog
 Posted Monday, January 13, 2020 5:50:26 PM
Forum Technician

Forum Technician - (796 reputation)Forum Technician - (796 reputation)Forum Technician - (796 reputation)Forum Technician - (796 reputation)Forum Technician - (796 reputation)Forum Technician - (796 reputation)Forum Technician - (796 reputation)Forum Technician - (796 reputation)Forum Technician - (796 reputation)

Last Active: 5 hours ago
How are we supposed to mow down traffic wardens with these systems?

Assumption is the mother of all f😨😱k up's!!!!!
McTech
 Posted Tuesday, January 14, 2020 3:12:15 AM
Forum Master Technician

Forum Master Technician - (2,477 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (2,477 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (2,477 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (2,477 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (2,477 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (2,477 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (2,477 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (2,477 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (2,477 reputation)

Here ya go....

Subaru ADAS Test Drive Checklist

IMPORTANT: Always be careful of traffic conditions and safety around the vehicle
Your test vehicle may not be equipped with all safety systems

Pre-Collision Braking System (PCBS)
  • Vehicle speed should be between 7MPH/10 km/h and 100MPH/160 km/h
  • Verify system generates buzzer sound, repeated short beeps and visual indicators when system recognizes an impending collision with a vehicle or obstacle in front
  • Verify Pre-Collision Braking System messages appears in combination meter display
  • First Braking and Secondary Braking: Verify system automatically applies brakes
Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC)
  • Verify ACC indicator appears in combination meter display
  • Vehicle speed should be between 20MPH/30 km/h and 90MPH/145 km/h
  • Test for acceleration, deceleration and braking between vehicle and vehicle in front at variable speeds
  • Verify Lead Vehicle Indicator appears in combination meter display
  • Verify ‘Obstacle Detected” warning appears in combination meter display
Lead Vehicle Start Alert (LVSA)
  • Verify system notifies the driver when the vehicle stopped in front starts moving but the driver’s vehicle remains stationary
  • Front vehicle must travel approximately 10FT/3 m while test vehicle remains stationary
  • Verify “Lead Vehicle Start” appears in combination meter display
  • Verify system generates warning buzzer and two-tone beep
Lane Keep Assist (LKA)
  • Vehicle speed should be between 37MPH/60 km/h and 90MPH/145 km/h
  • Verify system notifies the driver when the vehicle stopped in front starts moving but the driver’s vehicle remains stationary
  • Verify LKA indicator appears in combination meter display
Pre-Collision Throttle Management (PCTM)
  • Verify system generates “Obstacle Detected” warning and reduces engine power until he or she applies the brakes to avoid an impact.
  • Verify system generates warning buzzer and several short beeps
Lane Departure Warning (LDW)
  • Vehicle speed should be greater than 37MPH/60 km/h
  • Verify system generates warning buzzer and 3 short beeps
  • Verify “Lane Departure” indicator appears in combination meter display
Lane Sway Warning (LSW)
  • Vehicle speed should be greater than 37MPH/60 km/h
  • Verify system generates warning buzzer and 3 short beeps
  • Verify “Sway Warning” indicator appears in combination meter display

McTech
 Posted Tuesday, January 14, 2020 3:14:02 AM
Forum Master Technician

another...

Mazda I-Activesense ADAS Test Drive Checklist

IMPORTANT: Always be careful of traffic conditions and safety around the vehicle

Adaptive Front-Lighting (AFS)
  • Verify system points low-beam headlights in the direction of vehicle travel
High-Beam Control (HBC)
  • Verify system auto switches high-beams to low-beams when system detect taillights of vehicle ahead OR headlights of oncoming vehicle
  • Verify system auto switches high-beams to low-beams in brightly lit areas OR speed slower than 18 MPH/30 km/h
Driver Attention Alert (DAA)
  • Minimum speed required 40MPH/65 km/h
  • Verify system generates a chime sound and presents warning in Information Display
Lane Keep Assist (LAS)
  • Minimum speed required 40MPH/65 km/h
  • Verify system provides steering assistance when vehicle begins to leave lane
  • With Lane Trace: Verify system automatically keeps vehicle centered in lane
Blind Spot Monitoring (BSM)
  • Verify system provides visual and audible warnings when vehicles approach from behind and adjacent lane.
  • Verify icon on each mirror appears and, if turn signal used, system generates warning beep
Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA):
  • When in (R)everse, verify system provides visual and audible warnings when other vehicle(s) approach from side or rear.
Radar Cruise Control (RCC)
  • Verify acceleration and deceleration between vehicle and vehicle in front.
  • Verify system displays following distance in Information Display
Rear Vehicle Monitoring (RVM)
  • Minimum speed required 9MPH/15 km/h
  • Verify system generates audible alarm and presents visual warning signals in appropriate mirror
Lane Departure Warning (LDW)
  • Verify system presents visual warning signal in Information Display and “rumble strip” warning sound when vehicle leaves lane without turn signal
Emergency Signal System (ESS)
  • Verify system automatically causes hazard lights to flash after sudden braking at speeds greater than 31MPH/50 km/h.
Forward Obstruction Warning (FOW)
  • Verify system automatically generates an alarm and visual alert when an obstacle appears in front of the vehicle.

Thema
 Posted Tuesday, January 14, 2020 1:29:43 PM
Forum Master Technician

McTech (1/14/2020)
Here ya go....

Subaru ADAS Test Drive Checklist

Pre-Collision Braking System (PCBS)
  • Vehicle speed should be between 7MPH/10 km/h and 100MPH/160 km/h
  • Verify system generates buzzer sound, repeated short beeps and visual indicators when system recognizes an impending collision with a vehicle or obstacle in front
  • Verify Pre-Collision Braking System messages appears in combination meter display
  • First Braking and Secondary Braking: Verify system automatically applies brakes

So, let me get this straight, you drive up behind a slow moving vehicle at UP TO 100MPH and make sure that the system (which it says may not be fitted to your car!) stops you before you spread yourself all over the back of the "obstacle". And if you chicken out and manually brake you've proved nothing?
I suppose this is what apprentices are for? Smile

Peter
K And R
 Posted Wednesday, January 15, 2020 7:43:34 AM
Forum Master Technician

Forum Master Technician - (15,274 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (15,274 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (15,274 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (15,274 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (15,274 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (15,274 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (15,274 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (15,274 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (15,274 reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 2 hours ago
Hi All

The IGA do a guide to ADAS which is worth a read.

Kev.

"If you dont KNOW how it works, don,t try to test or fix it"
sparki1
 Posted Thursday, January 16, 2020 2:16:48 PM
Forum Master Technician

Forum Master Technician - (1,145 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (1,145 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (1,145 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (1,145 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (1,145 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (1,145 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (1,145 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (1,145 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (1,145 reputation)

Last Active: Friday, March 20, 2020 3:44:11 PM
Think I raised this a couple of years back after working on a Vauxhall at the dealers, they had no answer then either!Also asked on UKAT as well as here, but just got the obvious not so sensible, replies.

Reading This Topic

Expand / Collapse