BBA-Reman Forums

Astra 1.7TD (Isuzu) Diesel Injection Pump / ECU Failure..?

Posted By Gaffer001 Wednesday, December 28, 2005 10:30:23 PM
Add to Favorites0
Gaffer001
 Posted Wednesday, December 28, 2005 10:30:23 PM
Saturday Job

Saturday Job - (6 reputation)Saturday Job - (6 reputation)Saturday Job - (6 reputation)Saturday Job - (6 reputation)Saturday Job - (6 reputation)Saturday Job - (6 reputation)Saturday Job - (6 reputation)Saturday Job - (6 reputation)Saturday Job - (6 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Monday, January 16, 2006 7:34:30 PM
Hello. New to the forum and it seems well attended with some good guys here!

Quick question, but first some info. I have a Y plate Vauxhall Astra Van with the 1.7TD Isuzu engine in it. On normal run it cut out a few times and eventually culminated in a refusal to start. It seemed the fuel pump was to blame - garage quoted £1000 for a replacement unit! Ouch! Managed to find one on eBay and got it for a song - but after my brother-in-law fitted it, there is still no start

More promising readings have been measured from the replacement pump than the suspect one it replaced - ie, full rotational speed has been certified - but still no start. Brother-in-law's mechanic friend now strongly suspects the pump specific ECU

Fault code given reads: "P0251 - Injection Fuel Metering Control Pump A (Cam/Rotor/Injector) Auxiliary Infor Implausible Signal"

Any thoughts or ideas on what could be to blame? Should the following link to replacement unit see off the problem? http://www.bba-reman.com/content.aspx?content=vauxhall_astra_17_td_isuzu_ecu

Many thanks in advance. Cheers! :-)

manicmotors
 Posted Thursday, December 29, 2005 2:21:16 AM
Forum Master Technician

Forum Master Technician - (2,887 reputation)

Last Active: Monday, July 09, 2012 3:21:15 PM
gaffer

unbolt the ecu look at the back of it its held on with silicone force the back off and check the circuit board for solder dust or burning

martin

Gaffer001
 Posted Thursday, December 29, 2005 11:07:41 AM
Saturday Job

Saturday Job - (6 reputation)Saturday Job - (6 reputation)Saturday Job - (6 reputation)Saturday Job - (6 reputation)Saturday Job - (6 reputation)Saturday Job - (6 reputation)Saturday Job - (6 reputation)Saturday Job - (6 reputation)Saturday Job - (6 reputation)

Cheers for that Martin, nice tip!

Is that a common occurrence / personal experience / or just a thought?

Cheers anyway Smile

Clive

TopGun
 Posted Thursday, December 29, 2005 12:18:08 PM
Forum Technician

Forum Technician - (295 reputation)Forum Technician - (295 reputation)Forum Technician - (295 reputation)Forum Technician - (295 reputation)Forum Technician - (295 reputation)Forum Technician - (295 reputation)Forum Technician - (295 reputation)Forum Technician - (295 reputation)Forum Technician - (295 reputation)

Group: Advanced Members
Last Active: Saturday, June 26, 2010 11:23:21 AM
Clive,

Oops sorry manners are slipping again - must be all that Christmas cheer!

Welcome to the Forum

Martin has been around a bit (or so the rumours go) and is probably on the correct track here as the ECU's are a common source of problem on these pumps. Often the PCB is in a less than pristine state!

Regards,

TopGun.

www.ivesgarage.com

manicmotors
 Posted Thursday, December 29, 2005 12:59:58 PM
Forum Master Technician

topgun

thanks mate definatey been around a bitBigGrin

clive

ive had three of these with this type of problem all have been ecus

what do get when you bolt a highly senseitive circuit board to a diesel engine ? for some reason the solder joints fall apartBigGrin

martin

Andy-01
 Posted Thursday, December 29, 2005 1:21:16 PM
Forum Technician

Forum Technician - (676 reputation)Forum Technician - (676 reputation)Forum Technician - (676 reputation)Forum Technician - (676 reputation)Forum Technician - (676 reputation)Forum Technician - (676 reputation)Forum Technician - (676 reputation)Forum Technician - (676 reputation)Forum Technician - (676 reputation)

Last Active: Tuesday, October 08, 2019 1:31:37 PM
Yep, that sounds like another diesel pump ecu failure. Sorry !!
Gaffer001
 Posted Thursday, December 29, 2005 10:37:45 PM
Saturday Job

Thanks guys Smile

I will endeavour to retrieve the ECU from brother-in-law's mate's garage and have a little lookie inside! I'm far more at home with a soldering iron than a torque wrench, so it'll become pretty apparent on inspection I think

Is it usually a carefully repairable issue, or does it generally come down to a replacement unit in the end..?

Cheers!

Clive

manicmotors
 Posted Friday, December 30, 2005 3:34:12 AM
Forum Master Technician

clive

i have repaired two as a temporary fix but with the price they are on here i would just replace it BigGrin

martin

Gaffer001
 Posted Tuesday, January 10, 2006 6:23:44 PM
Saturday Job

Hi Martin

Quick update and a thank you if you were interested...

Had taken your hint of buying one here, only to be told they don't have one - going to chase refund of course, but after finding that out I definitely thought it would be worth having a little lookie inside my old one

Got hold of it, opened it up, and staring boldly at me was the most eroded and non-existent solder joint you ever couldn't see! An easy fix, which I hope has worked

It was a crystal clear problem, and I suppose I can only hope that nothing got ruined in there through malfunction... guess I'll find out when the mechanic puts it all back together

Nothing lost except a little time I guess, and many thanks for the tip Smile

Cheers!

Clive 

scannerMANners
 Posted Wednesday, January 11, 2006 4:07:04 PM
Forum Apprentice

Forum Apprentice - (153 reputation)Forum Apprentice - (153 reputation)Forum Apprentice - (153 reputation)Forum Apprentice - (153 reputation)Forum Apprentice - (153 reputation)Forum Apprentice - (153 reputation)Forum Apprentice - (153 reputation)Forum Apprentice - (153 reputation)Forum Apprentice - (153 reputation)

Last Active: Friday, July 26, 2013 6:29:01 PM
Gaffer i can safely say that the probs you have got on your astra g diesel is an ecu fault!! However i will say be careful because Vauxhall have fitted two fuelling ecu's.  One on top of the engine and one on back, these are both prone to dry joints, this is due to experience the last "g" i had gave me exactly the same dtc as you have.  Ideal you may think but be careful that the fueling unit on the back hasn't spiked the top one as i had experienced costing over two monkeys!!!!  Have had easier fixes like mentioned i.e open up the ecu clean and re-solder, hope this occurs for you. Smile Simon

Reading This Topic

Expand / Collapse