BBA-Reman Forums

Jeep Cherokee ABS Brake judder low speed ***FIXED***

Posted By Blaird52 Thursday, August 31, 2006 4:39:02 AM
Add to Favorites0
Blaird52
 Posted Thursday, August 31, 2006 4:39:02 AM
Saturday Job

Saturday Job - (4 reputation)Saturday Job - (4 reputation)Saturday Job - (4 reputation)Saturday Job - (4 reputation)Saturday Job - (4 reputation)Saturday Job - (4 reputation)Saturday Job - (4 reputation)Saturday Job - (4 reputation)Saturday Job - (4 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Wednesday, September 06, 2006 8:55:04 AM
Hi all....just had an 1997 jeep grand cherokee.....The ABS pump was disconnected when I bought it.   It worked fine the brakess were perfect.Recconnected ABS pump but the brakes judder,also making a metal on metal grinding or scoring noise.It feels as though the brake is pushing on a ribbed drum.

Needs MOT soon.Look forward to your replies. Thanks boys.......(and girls)!!

Blaird

Cheers Blaird

Wednesday, September 06, 2006 9:21:26 AM by DaveH
cjawahir
 Posted Thursday, August 31, 2006 8:00:33 AM
Forum Technician

Forum Technician - (487 reputation)Forum Technician - (487 reputation)Forum Technician - (487 reputation)Forum Technician - (487 reputation)Forum Technician - (487 reputation)Forum Technician - (487 reputation)Forum Technician - (487 reputation)Forum Technician - (487 reputation)Forum Technician - (487 reputation)

Last Active: Monday, December 24, 2012 6:56:30 PM
hi , try to scan the ABS module  for fault codes . I had a problem like yours, the ABS pump was coming on and locking up the brakes, the ABS unit was bad.

oh and if your rotor disc has a small bend, you will feel it more with the abs on, the judder at low speed.

cj

TONY_GINGELL
 Posted Thursday, August 31, 2006 8:43:41 AM
Forum Master Technician

Forum Master Technician - (2,207 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (2,207 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (2,207 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (2,207 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (2,207 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (2,207 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (2,207 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (2,207 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (2,207 reputation)

Group: Advanced Members
Last Active: Monday, April 08, 2013 6:45:49 AM
Hello Blaird, and welcome to the Forum.

It would be best to get the brakes checked ASAP if you are getting "grinding" noises, and as CJ has stated, get the ABS checked for fault codes at the same time. (Is the grinding only there with the ABS pump connected?)

Please note, that on some ABS systems, the system is also used to regulate pressure to the rear brakes, so possibly the brakes may not be working as well as you thought.

The above will have to be done before the MOT, as the operation of the ABS warning lamp is part of the test.

http://www.bba-reman.com/forums/images/line.gif

Thursday, August 31, 2006 8:45:30 AM by TONY_GINGELL
Blaird52
 Posted Friday, September 01, 2006 3:42:31 PM
Saturday Job

Saturday Job - (4 reputation)Saturday Job - (4 reputation)Saturday Job - (4 reputation)Saturday Job - (4 reputation)Saturday Job - (4 reputation)Saturday Job - (4 reputation)Saturday Job - (4 reputation)Saturday Job - (4 reputation)Saturday Job - (4 reputation)

Thanks CJ and Tony....

I will take it to the dealer...

The forum owners suggest that 99% of faults with this motor are module related..but I suppose the scan will reveal that.

There is only a problem when the ABS unit is plugged in.The brake s work fine when unplugged.

Will update you when I find anything out.

Can we get a module this side of the pond.?...you can get one on ebay from this Companys sister co in the states,but the postage is ridiculous.

Many Thanks again.

Cheers Blaird

DaveH
 Posted Friday, September 01, 2006 4:09:17 PM
Forum Master Technician

Forum Master Technician - (1,657 reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: Friday, December 07, 2018 6:53:06 AM
Does this brake judder only happen at low speeds ? have  you checked the reluctor rings for corrosion/damage

Regards

DaveH

Parrot 

jez1342
 Posted Friday, September 01, 2006 5:28:26 PM
Forum Tea Boy

Forum Tea Boy - (27 reputation)Forum Tea Boy - (27 reputation)Forum Tea Boy - (27 reputation)Forum Tea Boy - (27 reputation)Forum Tea Boy - (27 reputation)Forum Tea Boy - (27 reputation)Forum Tea Boy - (27 reputation)Forum Tea Boy - (27 reputation)Forum Tea Boy - (27 reputation)

Last Active: Monday, June 21, 2010 11:59:13 AM
i've had a few of these that have had the rear sensors knocked away from the reluctor ring inside the drums. worth taking drums off for a look, expect to see one sensor further away from the ring than the other.
Blaird52
 Posted Saturday, September 02, 2006 4:07:18 AM
Saturday Job

i've had a few of these that have had the rear sensors knocked away from the reluctor ring inside the drums. worth taking drums off for a look, expect to see one sensor further away from the ring than the other.

Cheers Jez....

Not much knowledge of mechanics .....but I can check that.....how much further away would they be....would it be obvious or millimetres,,??

Can the sensors be removed for testing and cleaning without any fluid loss.

What do they look like...jesus I need a manual pronto.

Thanks again to all.

Cheers Blaird

jez1342
 Posted Saturday, September 02, 2006 4:15:55 AM
Forum Tea Boy

Forum Tea Boy - (27 reputation)Forum Tea Boy - (27 reputation)Forum Tea Boy - (27 reputation)Forum Tea Boy - (27 reputation)Forum Tea Boy - (27 reputation)Forum Tea Boy - (27 reputation)Forum Tea Boy - (27 reputation)Forum Tea Boy - (27 reputation)Forum Tea Boy - (27 reputation)

Last Active: Monday, June 21, 2010 11:59:13 AM
the easiest way of checking them is on a two channel scope. connect up to both sensors, start her up, put her in gear and see if the voltages between the two differ.

failing that, what i've done before is to adjust the sensors so that they are as close to the ring as possible but never touching (spin wheel to make sure). they are easy to adjust and to remove and clean (quite important that they are clean and the rings). if there is a difference in the air gaps, it's usually quite obvious. hope this helps, Jez.

Blaird52
 Posted Wednesday, September 06, 2006 9:02:27 AM
Saturday Job

Thanks ....Thannks.....Thanks...

I went ot a dealer to get the codes out of hte ABS unit and hey presto they found part of the ABS ring (which the senosrs check) was missing/damaged..new half shaft reqd around £700 to repair. Shoot. !

Went to see a mate....he had a look,we took it out, and he built it up with weld and machined it back with the splines on and hey presto good as new.

Thanks again all.

Cheers Blaird

Dave Hill
 Posted Wednesday, September 06, 2006 4:53:56 PM
Forum Master Technician

Forum Master Technician - (1,659 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (1,659 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (1,659 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (1,659 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (1,659 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (1,659 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (1,659 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (1,659 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (1,659 reputation)

Group: Advanced Members
Last Active: Sunday, March 10, 2019 2:04:46 PM
Blaird

What’s his name? I want to employ him Smile

Good luck with the repair

Dave Hill

----------------------------------------------------------

Life throws many curved balls at you!
I don''t know whether I need a good helmet or a bigger bat! w00t

Reading This Topic

Expand / Collapse