BBA-Reman Forums

Citroen C3 1.4HDi 8v cut out, crank sensor or ecu?

Posted By peeps 1/6/2008 7:10:00 AM
Add to Favorites0
peeps
 Posted 1/6/2008 7:10:00 AM
Saturday Job

Saturday Job - (7 reputation)Saturday Job - (7 reputation)Saturday Job - (7 reputation)Saturday Job - (7 reputation)Saturday Job - (7 reputation)Saturday Job - (7 reputation)Saturday Job - (7 reputation)Saturday Job - (7 reputation)Saturday Job - (7 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 5/22/2008 4:45:16 PM
Hello all. I have a Citroen C3 1.4HDi 8 valve. 2004 54 plate. Done coming up to 71K miles so now out of warranty. I had a breakdown the other day. It ran rough, cutting out a few times, restarted OK for half a mile or so then refused to run at all. Recovered to Citroen dealer. They did a few tests and came up with possible crank sensor, possible ECU causing the fault. Initially the voltage at the crank sensor was 3v, so they checked the wiring, pulled the crank sensor, cleaned it and connectors and pulled the ECU, cleaned it. On reassembly the voltage at the crank sensor was 5v and the car now starts and runs OK.
I have had faults in the past where it would not rev over about 2500 but clearing codes sorted this. One of the codes at that time was to do with the crank sensor - this has been done twice.
This time the fault that came up this time was (by my cheapie scanner) before towing in was P2670 actuator suply voltage B circuit low. This would tend to be confirmed by the 3v 5v thing Citroen dealer found I suppose.
On the bill (£191....Ermm ) it says possible fault with crank sensor, or ECU, now I would rather it be the cran sensor obviously...... but any ideas?
Chris Venning
 Posted 1/6/2008 7:15:25 AM
Forum Master Technician

Forum Master Technician - (2,915 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (2,915 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (2,915 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (2,915 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (2,915 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (2,915 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (2,915 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (2,915 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (2,915 reputation)

Last Active: 12/23/2011 9:00:24 PM
Sounds more like a bad connection problem to me, which could be tested for easily. You only need to find which ECU pin relates to the crank sensor and test there. See if there's a difference.

This doesn't make sense, there shouldn't be a 5V supply to the crank sensor, it's a sensor not an actuator, should generate a voltage of about 1V AC, unless it's a Hall Effect type sensor, in which case it could be 5V fed. Hopefully someone will be along to confirm.Ermm

I could give up Stella, but I'm no quitter. Beer Drinker 

1/6/2008 7:37:45 AM by Chris Venning
peeps
 Posted 1/6/2008 7:18:23 AM
Saturday Job

Saturday Job - (7 reputation)Saturday Job - (7 reputation)Saturday Job - (7 reputation)Saturday Job - (7 reputation)Saturday Job - (7 reputation)Saturday Job - (7 reputation)Saturday Job - (7 reputation)Saturday Job - (7 reputation)Saturday Job - (7 reputation)

So presumably the dealer cleaning/checking the connections at the ecu and the crank sensor will have (hopefully!) sorted this?
Anyone recommend a place to buy a crank sensor online - or is it best to go to local factors or even citroen?
Thanks!
Thema
 Posted 1/6/2008 7:33:47 AM
Forum Master Technician

Forum Master Technician - (2,277 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (2,277 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (2,277 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (2,277 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (2,277 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (2,277 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (2,277 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (2,277 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (2,277 reputation)

Last Active: 10/28/2014 1:58:16 PM
Well, look at this way. It was towed into Citroen and driven out! So obviously they cured it, temporarily at least. I dont care for their "it could be this or it could be that" approach though. If youre still worried I would sugest getting someone to scope the crank sensor output at the ECU and, if possible, at the sensor itself and see how it looks. Low amplititude would point to a lack of input voltage, which comes from the ECU. Irregular frequency would point to the sensor (or perhaps the air gap).

If youre still worried after that (and I hate to recommend this sort of approach) the crank sensor should be available from a good factor and quite cheaply, certainly when compared to the cost a new or reconditioned ECU.

1/6/2008 7:34:25 AM by Thema
aidan
 Posted 1/6/2008 9:14:15 AM
Forum Technician

Forum Technician - (916 reputation)Forum Technician - (916 reputation)Forum Technician - (916 reputation)Forum Technician - (916 reputation)Forum Technician - (916 reputation)Forum Technician - (916 reputation)Forum Technician - (916 reputation)Forum Technician - (916 reputation)Forum Technician - (916 reputation)

Group: Advanced Members
Last Active: 10/21/2014 5:15:15 PM
Hi

Most crank sensors are only about £20, so if any doubt we would tend to change. Prefer to see a fault on scope, so we are certain we have found the fault, but can be intermittent, so substitution can be the cheapest form of elimination.

My opinion, best to fit an O.E. one.

Cheers Aidan

Definition of Experience :- `Something you get, when looking for something else.’ Exclamation Mark I think I'm getting to much experience nowadays Crying

peeps
 Posted 1/6/2008 11:52:05 AM
Saturday Job

Good, glad you are not all immediately saying the ECU is up the spout! I was going to change the crank sensor before anything else - so I'm glad to have that confirmed! Thanks for all replies. It's quite civilised in here isn't it?
I will probably be back - the wife has a Punto....BigGrin !
peeps
 Posted 1/8/2008 7:09:52 AM
Saturday Job

Well - that was a turn up - looked on ebay, someone selling a second hand crank sensor for £12.50, but I didn't fancy taking a chance with second hand.... so ordered one from Citroen. I had to get him to repeat the price as I thought I had mis-heard.......! £6.50 plus the dreaded. Yes, SIX not sixty which was more like what I was expecting!

Just for a laugh I priced an ECU - £834 plus vat, fitting, downloads etc etc.........................  

Reading This Topic

Expand / Collapse