BBA-Reman Forums

2004 Mazda 6 Turbo Diesel

Posted By Shaynec March, 2009
Add to Favorites0
Shaynec
 Posted March, 2009
Forum Tea Boy

Forum Tea Boy - (74 reputation)Forum Tea Boy - (74 reputation)Forum Tea Boy - (74 reputation)Forum Tea Boy - (74 reputation)Forum Tea Boy - (74 reputation)Forum Tea Boy - (74 reputation)Forum Tea Boy - (74 reputation)Forum Tea Boy - (74 reputation)Forum Tea Boy - (74 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: April, 2012
Hi all!

We currently have a 2004 mazda 6 turbo diesel in (95,000 miles), which will randomly cut out, mostly at idle, and then can be difficult to restart. We changed the fuel filter (which clearly has not been changed for eternity) and found that it was in a pretty bad way. It has improved the starting fault, although not cured it. This fault has got considerably worse over the last week, and just to add, there have been no fault codes recorded up to now.

I have read similar posts about this fault, and it seems that the pumps are an issue on these. I have tested the low pressure side fuel flow, and have found it to be less that 1 litre a minute (regardless of engine revs). My understanding is that any common rail LP side should deliver around 3 litres a minute. So my question is, is this the fault they suffer with, or is it a combination of this and other faults?

Thanks in advance...

Shayne

April, 2009 by Shaynec
Angus
 Posted March, 2009
Forum Master Technician

Forum Master Technician - (10,630 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (10,630 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (10,630 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (10,630 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (10,630 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (10,630 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (10,630 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (10,630 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (10,630 reputation)

Group: Advanced Members
Last Active: December, 2014
Shayne

The idle issue with these; [one of many - NEVER touch a current Mazda] is the suction valves in the HP pump.

Most diesel places can now repair them; the dealers have an arrangement with Feather Diesel - and charge £660 for a 30 minute job.

Get those valves changed [some say that they can do them in-situ] - and then tell him to get rid of it before the engine self-destructs.

Shaynec
 Posted March, 2009
Forum Tea Boy

Forum Tea Boy - (74 reputation)Forum Tea Boy - (74 reputation)Forum Tea Boy - (74 reputation)Forum Tea Boy - (74 reputation)Forum Tea Boy - (74 reputation)Forum Tea Boy - (74 reputation)Forum Tea Boy - (74 reputation)Forum Tea Boy - (74 reputation)Forum Tea Boy - (74 reputation)

Thanks Angus, you confirmed my thoughts on this...

However, the customer wants to supply me a second hand pump! I have told him clearly I wont be responsible for the outcome, but he`s happy with that...

Am I right in thinking these are not coded?

Shayne

Angus
 Posted March, 2009
Forum Master Technician

Forum Master Technician - (10,630 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (10,630 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (10,630 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (10,630 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (10,630 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (10,630 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (10,630 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (10,630 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (10,630 reputation)

Shayne

I've never seen a coded one; it's basically just a dumb rotary pump.  Just a new output pipe needed, for safety.

So, how does he know that the "new" one will work - particularly if it has dried out......?

Shaynec
 Posted March, 2009
Forum Tea Boy

Thanks for the info...

Well, in a nutshell, he doesn`t... The problem is its a car sales customer of mine, and we do quite a lot of diagnostic work for them. He`s really caught a cold on this one, and is trying to find the best way out.

I`ve told him that there is absolutely no guarantee it will work, which is why he is supplying the pump. Thus, I havn`t supplied the part, so not my responsibility if its no good... Will let you know how we get on!

Appreciate your input...

Shayne

wor-mate
 Posted March, 2009
Forum Technician

Forum Technician - (703 reputation)Forum Technician - (703 reputation)Forum Technician - (703 reputation)Forum Technician - (703 reputation)Forum Technician - (703 reputation)Forum Technician - (703 reputation)Forum Technician - (703 reputation)Forum Technician - (703 reputation)Forum Technician - (703 reputation)

is the common rail pressure stable at idle, if its  floating up and down i would suspect a restriction, if you doubt the low pressure fuel system rig up a temp tank going direct to and from the hp pump, any restriction in the supply sends this system out of control, the fact that it was ok after the filter change would be pointing me towards changing the filter again just in case there was some dirty fuel still in the tank, at £4.00 for a filter its got to be worth a go . 
Shaynec
 Posted April, 2009
Forum Tea Boy

Well...

"New" pump fitted, now runs perfectly, and idles perfectly... Will it last? Who knows! Smile

Still, its another job out of my hair for the time being... I`ve warned them about the other issues, so we will see....

Cheers all...

Shayne

Norn-Iron
 Posted October, 2009
Saturday Job

Saturday Job - (10 reputation)Saturday Job - (10 reputation)Saturday Job - (10 reputation)Saturday Job - (10 reputation)Saturday Job - (10 reputation)Saturday Job - (10 reputation)Saturday Job - (10 reputation)Saturday Job - (10 reputation)Saturday Job - (10 reputation)

Last Active: December, 2009
Hello everyone, I'm just curious to a couple of things in regards to this post and maybe some of you can put me right. I too had a stalling when idling fault with my Mazda 6, however just like the OP I had the diesel filter changed and it also looked like it was in the car form the start as it was Denso branded and a sight inside!

Since changing it, no stalling and idles well and been driving great since. I did however have a diagnostics check via Mazda on the car before changing the fuel filter and it flagged up  P0093 'Fuel system leak detected - large leak' Dont know if this would have been a fault code logged due to a dirty or unchanged fuel filter as I havent had it on diagnostics since to see if it will clear now, would any of you know if a fuel filter could trigger this fault code P0093? There is no external fuel leak and the mileage the car is doing also is roughly the same as it always has been. This would hardly indiacte the common rail leaking internally?

As part of a full service carried out by Mazda dealerships, would the fuel filter not be something changed as part of this do any of you know?

Cheers,

N-I

October, 2009 by Norn-Iron
Angus
 Posted October, 2009
Forum Master Technician

NI

Changing the filter makes life easier for the failing suction valves - the problem eventually recurs.

The "leak" code is a red-herring.

Gtwoody
 Posted October, 2009
Forum Technician

Forum Technician - (427 reputation)Forum Technician - (427 reputation)Forum Technician - (427 reputation)Forum Technician - (427 reputation)Forum Technician - (427 reputation)Forum Technician - (427 reputation)Forum Technician - (427 reputation)Forum Technician - (427 reputation)Forum Technician - (427 reputation)

Last Active: October, 2013
Angus, please explain what you mean by red herring?

"Any intelligent fool can make things more complex. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. "

Reading This Topic

Expand / Collapse