BBA-Reman Forums

Toyota Estima fault code. ***FIXED***

Posted By Hammond_Auto February, 2010
Add to Favorites0
Hammond_Auto
 Posted February, 2010
Forum Technician

Forum Technician - (699 reputation)Forum Technician - (699 reputation)Forum Technician - (699 reputation)Forum Technician - (699 reputation)Forum Technician - (699 reputation)Forum Technician - (699 reputation)Forum Technician - (699 reputation)Forum Technician - (699 reputation)Forum Technician - (699 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: July, 2013
Hi, anyone dealt with a Toyota Estima (Jap import) engine fault before?
The engine management light came on while the customer was driving, I scanned and came up with
P0012 Camshaft over retarded bank 1.
I took this to mean that the variable valve timing was not advancing when it should do but I was unable to re create the fault when I drove it, I told the owner (well the garage who had it in) what I had found and what I thought the code meant and explained that the variable valve timing adjustment was probably made by an electronic solenoid and oil pressure....... the garage then said that they were replacing the oil pump the next day as the oil pressure warning lamp came on sometimes and that it was a common fault on those engines!?! I suggested that low oil pressure could stop the VVT from working... the only experience of VVT I have had is on a troublesome Honda engine so I know how that system works, is the Toyota one similar? am I talking out of my bottom?
Anyway, the pump was replaced and the car was run, the garage phoned today and said that the warning lamp came back on but I have not scanned it so unsure if it is the same fault code.
The engine code is 2AZ-FE, it is a 2 litre or a 2.2, and it is registered as a 2004 car, any of you wise lot had similar problems?
Thanks in advance
HA
February, 2010 by Hammond_Auto
toyota man
 Posted February, 2010
Forum Tea Boy

Forum Tea Boy - (30 reputation)Forum Tea Boy - (30 reputation)Forum Tea Boy - (30 reputation)Forum Tea Boy - (30 reputation)Forum Tea Boy - (30 reputation)Forum Tea Boy - (30 reputation)Forum Tea Boy - (30 reputation)Forum Tea Boy - (30 reputation)Forum Tea Boy - (30 reputation)

Last Active: June, 2014
Have you checked oil pressure and the oil pick up in the sump
Hammond_Auto
 Posted February, 2010
Forum Technician

Forum Technician - (699 reputation)Forum Technician - (699 reputation)Forum Technician - (699 reputation)Forum Technician - (699 reputation)Forum Technician - (699 reputation)Forum Technician - (699 reputation)Forum Technician - (699 reputation)Forum Technician - (699 reputation)Forum Technician - (699 reputation)

No, not personally, the car is back in on Monday so will see then, I presume they will have cleaned the pick up when they put the new pump in.....
Are oil pressure problems common on these?

Hammond_Auto
 Posted February, 2010
Forum Technician

Do these have some sort of oil strainer like the mesh on a Honda VTEC solenoid? If so it could be blocked if the car has not been serviced regularly....?
Hammond_Auto
 Posted February, 2010
Forum Technician

Just found this fault diagnosis chart for Toyota fault P0012!
There is a filter, will be following this Monday!

http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/05+/data/ileaf/06toyrm/06toypdf/06rmsrc/rm2006ta/0060013.pdf
Hammond_Auto
 Posted February, 2010
Forum Technician

Fixed!
The filter was blocked but was located behind the power steering pump so had to take that off, filter was located behind a bolt with an allen head, cleaned it with petrol and put it back in.
On the activation section of my scanner I selected VVT solenoid and activated it with the engine idling, it made the engine stall which is what should happen, before cleaning the filter it would not stall.

Reading This Topic

Expand / Collapse