BBA-Reman Forums

Peugeot 206 HDi - Engine cuts off while driving

Posted By yonef 4/1/2010 2:58:28 PM
Add to Favorites0
yonef
 Posted 4/1/2010 2:58:28 PM
Saturday Job

Saturday Job - (8 reputation)Saturday Job - (8 reputation)Saturday Job - (8 reputation)Saturday Job - (8 reputation)Saturday Job - (8 reputation)Saturday Job - (8 reputation)Saturday Job - (8 reputation)Saturday Job - (8 reputation)Saturday Job - (8 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 6/28/2010 1:26:46 PM
Hello,

I have a very irritating problem with my Peugeot 206 HDi 2.0 (90HP) year 2000. Generally I was very happy with the engine, but couple of months ago it just turns off while driving on motorway and I put it on 4-th gear, released the clutch and engine spins at high RPM but did not start. Feels like I was run out of fuel, but I have just filled up. I've puled out, tried to start the engine again with no success. It sounds like there is no fuel. I've tried to start for about 20 times and gave up. 10-15 minutes later just decided to give it another try and it started straight away with no sign of any failure. Engine runs smooth, no unusual noises, works perfect, drives well and so on for next 2 months. Then all this repeated again. Another 2-3 months goes well, doing 400 miles every week. Yesterday engine cuts off again while I'm waiting on the traffic lights. This time I pushed the gas pedal to the metal and turn the ignition key and it started, then cuts off few traffic lights further, and so on, 10 times in 1 hour journey. I have noticed that when it turns off by itself can't start if I'm not pressing gas pedal, if I turn the engine off with the key, next time engine starts without pressing the gas pedal, and it starts very well.

I think that this could be problem with engine idling, because most of the times it cuts off while idling (pressing clutch, or change to neutral)

Also I've noticed that 1-2 min before engine cuts off it looses power for a second (like I'm releasing the gas). And while idling RPMs now jitter (varying between ~750~850) before couple months RPM dial stays firmly at ~800 RPM).

Additional info: No oil consumption, No Engine management light, No smoke from the exhaust.

I'll be very grateful to hear any suggestions what it could be.

Thanks in advance.

4/2/2010 5:07:28 AM by yonef
wor-mate
 Posted 4/1/2010 3:16:49 PM
Forum Technician

Forum Technician - (702 reputation)Forum Technician - (702 reputation)Forum Technician - (702 reputation)Forum Technician - (702 reputation)Forum Technician - (702 reputation)Forum Technician - (702 reputation)Forum Technician - (702 reputation)Forum Technician - (702 reputation)Forum Technician - (702 reputation)

Last Active: 5 hours ago
it may be worth getting a diagnostic check done by someone who has peugeot planet diagnostic equipment,  there could be faults stored even though there is no mil lamp on, also try to get it to cut out whilst viewing fuel pressure in live data.
yonef
 Posted 4/1/2010 3:54:09 PM
Saturday Job

Saturday Job - (8 reputation)Saturday Job - (8 reputation)Saturday Job - (8 reputation)Saturday Job - (8 reputation)Saturday Job - (8 reputation)Saturday Job - (8 reputation)Saturday Job - (8 reputation)Saturday Job - (8 reputation)Saturday Job - (8 reputation)

I've brought it to local service center (I don't know what kind of equipement they have) and they said that their diagnostic tool shows that it is fuel pump problem, but they do not know which pump (engine diesel pump or the one that is in the tank), but they run extensive tests on both pumps and said that they work propery and they couldn't find any problem at all, tryed to get it cut off for 5 days while car was there and connected to the diag tool, unfortunatelly they didn't manage to get it cut off Sad. To be honest it runs fine 2 months after that LOL.
yonef
 Posted 5/23/2010 7:24:01 AM
Saturday Job

OK guys, I brought it to the garage again, and they changed the "fuel presure regulator valve" located on the diesel pump. unfortunatelly it didn't solve the problem, engine keeps cutting out. This time the diagnostic does NOT come with fault code, and the guys asure me that the fault is not with the electrical system nor ECU. I could be something mecanical.

My question is: Is it possible, some dirt to block the fuel tank probe and cause engine to cut out? I mean, is it possible something to block fuel to get to diesel pump to cause engine cut out? Does it worth to try clean the fuel tank, or this is not relevant to the problem?

Angus
 Posted 5/23/2010 9:03:42 AM
Forum Master Technician

Forum Master Technician - (10,628 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (10,628 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (10,628 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (10,628 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (10,628 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (10,628 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (10,628 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (10,628 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (10,628 reputation)

Group: Advanced Members
Last Active: 9/26/2014 8:34:12 PM
yonef

The engine is pretty well monitored by the self-diagnosis; so if it left no code, I'd start by testing the dual relay and, if that's OK, the feed to the in-tank pump. 

If there is a feed and an earth to the in-tank pump when it won't re-start, I'd consider replacing the pump.  They are a common fault - although they usually leave P0230.

yonef
 Posted 5/23/2010 2:18:40 PM
Saturday Job

thanks for the info mate. I'll bring it to the garage tomorrow and I'll tell em to look at this dual relay.

P.S. just for the information, can you tell me what is this dual relay and what it is responsible for ?

thanks Smile

Angus
 Posted 5/23/2010 3:02:29 PM
Forum Master Technician

Forum Master Technician - (10,628 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (10,628 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (10,628 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (10,628 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (10,628 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (10,628 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (10,628 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (10,628 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (10,628 reputation)

y

The dual [combo] relay is the heart of the system.  It provides power to the ECU and its second section powers the tank pump.

Always worth a test as they do fail - as does the wiring to them.

yonef
 Posted 5/30/2010 12:40:27 PM
Saturday Job

ok, I just took it from the garage, again with no success finding the problem Sad

The technician said that there was recorded a fault which stated exactly " BSI Perm. fault with Engine Control Unit communication ( BSI ) ". He cleared the recorded fault and tried to get it cut out, unfortunately he couldn't manage to get the engine to cut out, but the same error has been recorded again (strange) Sick So he decided that this could not be the problem Sad

Dual relay and in-tank pump has been inspected as well and found NOT faulty Sad

The guy then disconnected the BSI module and cleaned the connectors and inspected all the wiring to it. Also he changed the crankshaft sensor just in case. I've been explained that bad crankshaft sensor could lead to engine cut off, and poor connection on the BSI module can lead to engine cut out as well.

The car runs good so far, but I doubt that the problem is solved, need to try it for couple of weeks to be sure.

meanwhile I have some questions for the geeks:

1) What does this error stands for? " BSI Perm. fault with Engine Control Unit communication ( BSI ) "

2) Can bad crankshaft sensor lead to engine cut out?

3) Is it possible that the poor connection on the BSI can cut out the engine ?

Angus
 Posted 5/30/2010 1:32:13 PM
Forum Master Technician

yonef

1/  If it was read from the BSI, then it means that the CAN network between the BSI and the engine ECU has some sort of problem.  [If it were a total loss of comms, then it would immobilze the ECU.]

2/  Yes; instantly.

3/  Not once it has received the immobilizer code and has started.

You can't "inspect" a relay or a pump and say that there is no fault with them.  They may work perfectly - right up to the second that they don't.  You can only test them when they are NOT working.

I'd replace the combo relay first and if that doesn't cure it, then the tank pump.

yonef
 Posted 5/30/2010 2:23:37 PM
Saturday Job

Tnanks for the quick response Angus Smile

I'll take it next week for a combo relay replacement and I'll keep posting the results Smile

Thanks.

Reading This Topic

Expand / Collapse