BBA-Reman Forums

ABS light stays on - Golf GTi  

Posted By martin_and_angela 10/11/2004 9:00:55 AM
Add to Favorites1
martin_and_angela
 Posted 10/11/2004 9:00:55 AM
Saturday Job

Saturday Job - (7 reputation)Saturday Job - (7 reputation)Saturday Job - (7 reputation)Saturday Job - (7 reputation)Saturday Job - (7 reputation)Saturday Job - (7 reputation)Saturday Job - (7 reputation)Saturday Job - (7 reputation)Saturday Job - (7 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 8/4/2005 12:00:00 AM
Hi, just bought a Golf GTi Mark 3, 98, 8V. Just had it serviced as was due.  Now ABS light stays on all the time?  Have read on forum someone else had similar problem but could do with some input here.  Novice on cars (Angela). Guy that did service says could be pump and then quoted some frightening prices.  He is going to test it Wednesday and see what comes up.  I would like to prepared when I go in to chat (being a girl and all).  Any ideas??  thanks
Chuck_Wagon
 Posted 10/11/2004 9:13:23 AM
Forum Master Technician

Forum Master Technician - (1,956 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (1,956 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (1,956 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (1,956 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (1,956 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (1,956 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (1,956 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (1,956 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (1,956 reputation)

Last Active: 5/23/2013 3:42:57 PM
Angela,

Welcome to the forum, you can be assured of our best attention at all times.

Not too much to go on here at the moment, but here’s some thoughts to start with.

1. I assume that ABS light was not on before service, but now it is, is that right?

2. Was anything done during the service in the area of the wheels, like brake pad renewal or anything on the suspension or wheel hubs.

When you say he is going to test it and see what comes up, I assume he is going to scan the fault codes (make sure you get a copy of the codes and anything else he says).

Please don’t commit to having anything replaced on his say so until you have discussed it with this forum.

I’m sure we can lead you in the right direction.

Chuck

To help and to serve
martin_and_angela
 Posted 10/11/2004 9:39:54 AM
Saturday Job

Saturday Job - (7 reputation)Saturday Job - (7 reputation)Saturday Job - (7 reputation)Saturday Job - (7 reputation)Saturday Job - (7 reputation)Saturday Job - (7 reputation)Saturday Job - (7 reputation)Saturday Job - (7 reputation)Saturday Job - (7 reputation)

Hi Chuck, thanks for coming back to me and so quickly.  right to answer.......

1.  Yes ABS light was not on prior to service but then after service came on once and went off and then came on again and stayed on.  Could be coincidential.........

2. For the service as Im not sure what would be touched I’ll list all that was done and you can decide:  

we had the spark plugs, air filter, oil filter, sump bung washer and the timing belt.  Invoice stated "carried out full service as necessary and strip down remove and fit new timing belt and rebuild and test" (we did ask for the cam belt to be changed after reading it was due).

3.  The bitch bit.......the car still has a warranty until 17 Oct with VW dealer but as the last person did not carry out a service at the required mileage, I have a feeling that if I call them they will weedle their way out of helping on this score.  Its also 50 miles away but thats not major.   The car left the dealer at 53,500 and the guy sold it to us at 62,500, and we just got it serviced at 62,685 and not at a VW dealership.  So this wont help.

And yes, it is a code scanner thing, so will ask for a copy.

What do you think?
Chuck_Wagon
 Posted 10/11/2004 10:16:27 AM
Forum Master Technician

Forum Master Technician - (1,956 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (1,956 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (1,956 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (1,956 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (1,956 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (1,956 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (1,956 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (1,956 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (1,956 reputation)

Angela,

The way I’m thinking on this is that you had a perfectly usable Golf until you had a service done.

Now you have an ABS light on - once intermittant, now permanantly on. This makes me feel that something has happened around the wheel speed sensors. This is why I asked you about anything being done in the area of the brakes.

At this time I can’t see this problem being anything to do with the ABS modulator (pump).

As you rightly assume, I think you might have blown any chance of help from VW on this matter.

We need to see the fault code(s) and we’ll take it from there.

Don’t worry, we’ll sort this out for you somehow.

Chuck

To help and to serve
martin_and_angela
 Posted 10/11/2004 10:38:19 AM
Saturday Job

Ok Chuck, when I get the print out I will come back on and update you.  Im glad to hear that its probable that its not the pump.  At that mileage we would have been surprised.  thanks for your input, angela
martin_and_angela
 Posted 10/12/2004 4:53:04 AM
Saturday Job

Thank you all for your replies.  

Am relieved to hear that this situation may not be completely wallet emptying.

The car was sold with new MOT on it and I have chatted with the guy that we got the car from just incase he had any experience with the ABS and he said no, plus he said he would be angry if VW did not back the warranty.  He seems pretty genuine to me too.

Will check out the threads on warranties etc.,

I think that as the car was not serviced at 59,000 that is what VW will use as the "get out" but hey, I havnt asked them yet.  Will wait on tomorrows outcome.

thanks again all,
angela
CYRIL
 Posted 10/12/2004 6:19:19 AM
Forum Master Technician

Forum Master Technician - (4,676 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (4,676 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (4,676 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (4,676 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (4,676 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (4,676 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (4,676 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (4,676 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (4,676 reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 16 hours ago
just another point , if the y rotated  the wheels with the ingnition on, it would more than likely show up as an intermittant(or the scanner way)fault

cyril

Regards

Cyril

martin_and_angela
 Posted 10/12/2004 7:18:27 AM
Saturday Job

Ok...so they may have done that during the service then to check bearings or something? mind you i am not to know whether the ignition was on or off.  im not going to quiz the garage guy though at this point, think i will wait on tomorrows outcome and then start asking questions.
thanks
Chuck_Wagon
 Posted 10/12/2004 10:48:50 AM
Forum Master Technician

Angela,

Just keep calm, we’re all here to help you out.

Chuck

To help and to serve
Angus
 Posted 10/12/2004 12:10:22 PM
Forum Master Technician

Forum Master Technician - (10,367 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (10,367 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (10,367 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (10,367 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (10,367 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (10,367 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (10,367 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (10,367 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (10,367 reputation)

Group: Advanced Members
Last Active: 1 hour ago
martin and angela

Chucks got it well covered; (as always).

Just to say I had a similar aged Golf GTi in a couple of weeks ago and that had both front wheel sensors gone.  The good news is they’re only 39 each from VW and quick to fit; so don’t worry too much quite yet.

(Don’t do as he did though and remove the ABS warning bulb to try and blag an MOT.  Bad idea!  Those little bulbs are 76 each!!!)

Reading This Topic

Expand / Collapse