BBA-Reman Forums

Citroen C15D 1.9 DW8 engine poor running ***FIXED***

Posted By zipthecat 8/15/2006 12:52:34 PM
Add to Favorites0
zipthecat
 Posted 8/15/2006 12:52:34 PM
Saturday Job

Saturday Job - (22 reputation)Saturday Job - (22 reputation)Saturday Job - (22 reputation)Saturday Job - (22 reputation)Saturday Job - (22 reputation)Saturday Job - (22 reputation)Saturday Job - (22 reputation)Saturday Job - (22 reputation)Saturday Job - (22 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 1/28/2009 3:39:20 AM
Hi

My first post and hoping someone can help me!

2001 Citroen C15D with 1.9 DW8 engine (same as Berlingo, Partner, 206 etc etc.) developed a running problem yesterday on the motorway in heavy rain. It started to hesitate & pull back at about 60 mph, it would move on to 70 but much more slowly than usual. Problem became more and more noticeable and started to come in at lower speeds (40 and then 30) but was to some extent intermittent - in other words it didn`t do it every time acceleration was required. Fuel tank was about a quarter full when problem appeared and therefore it seemed to get worse as the tank emptied.

Today, in dry weather the problem was still there and just maybe there was more smoke from exhaust. Van was due a service (it has one every 6k; its done 84k by the way) so I did that straightaway - all filters changed and had a good look at some diesel I drained from the fuel filter - it looks fine no sign of water which I half expected... I checked all the vacuum hoses associated with the EGR gear - all look OK, and gave all the engine electrical connectors and wiring a visual check; I then went further and cleaned all the muck off the EGR valve but it was moving freely. As you`ve guessed, problem is still there - engine management light came on briefly whilst I was revving engine to check for smoke - there is some but not really excessive. It starts perfectly and sounds normal and I only see an occasional bubble in the fuel heading to the inj. pump.

I am not familiar with the electronics on this engine and don`t know how to access the fault codes if there are any. Then again it might not be an electronics fault! I haven`t re-fueled yet - could still be a bad diesel issue. What does anyone think? Is this a well known problem with the DW8 engine?

Other info: cat and rear exhaust were replaced due to rust/cracking about 4 months ago; twice earlier in the summer engine suddenly became very noisy, stopping and switching off cured this and it has not re-occurred.

I`ll shut up now and wait for some wiser heads than mine to make some suggestions.

Thanks

8/29/2006 3:44:05 PM by DaveH
BENSAR
 Posted 8/15/2006 3:47:42 PM
Forum Technician

Forum Technician - (443 reputation)Forum Technician - (443 reputation)Forum Technician - (443 reputation)Forum Technician - (443 reputation)Forum Technician - (443 reputation)Forum Technician - (443 reputation)Forum Technician - (443 reputation)Forum Technician - (443 reputation)Forum Technician - (443 reputation)

Last Active: 3/2/2010 7:51:48 AM
zipthecat?

hi, just a few thoughts as these engines were fairley bomb proof i would look into the following,

1. wrong fuel used to top up ?

2. try filling the tank and see if it goes away.

3. not sure if your model has fault codes, but it would be worth getting a reading done all the same.

hth alistair

ALL IN A DAYS WORKSmile

zipthecat
 Posted 8/16/2006 2:12:21 AM
Saturday Job

Saturday Job - (22 reputation)Saturday Job - (22 reputation)Saturday Job - (22 reputation)Saturday Job - (22 reputation)Saturday Job - (22 reputation)Saturday Job - (22 reputation)Saturday Job - (22 reputation)Saturday Job - (22 reputation)Saturday Job - (22 reputation)

Hi and thanks for your thoughts,

definitely the right fuel - last fill up was Shell in central London, but how good was it? What I drained off looked perfectly normal but you never know. I shall re-fill today or tomorrow and will see how it goes....

CYRIL
 Posted 8/16/2006 4:34:07 AM
Forum Master Technician

Forum Master Technician - (5,241 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (5,241 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (5,241 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (5,241 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (5,241 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (5,241 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (5,241 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (5,241 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (5,241 reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 9 minutes ago
all the other info point to water ingress of the air filter,however the engine rattle which stops on turning off the ignition points to the advance corrector on the pump(i take it is Delphi or Lucas).

if you nip to your Lucas or a good diesel shop , tell them about the rattle they will concur with  my last remarks,this was a problem with this pump

Regards Cyril

zipthecat
 Posted 8/16/2006 5:09:27 AM
Saturday Job

Thanks Cyril

Yes it a Lucas pump - is the advance thingy the small black capsule with a few wires going straight into it on the top of the pump? 

I don`t think water was getting past the air filter - no dampness in there and the housing was well tight, old filter dirty but not wet and with new filter installed and weather dry the problem was still there.

I still have my doubts about the fuel quality - will post again after a fill-up of Tesco`s finest - my usual! The problem has occurred with a tank of Shell......

zipthecat
 Posted 8/16/2006 3:20:49 PM
Saturday Job

Hi again

Did 400 miles today after filling at Tescos, problem is still there so can`t be fuel quality. It`s very intermittent, and on clearish motorways where I could keep between 65-75 the performance was perfectly smooth; the hesitation -when it occurred- was usually at 60 but also at slower speeds and at times the pulling back meant that I had no acceleration but plenty of black smoke visible in my NS mirror! The `flat spot` would suddenly clear (as if something was sticking?!) and I would be off up to 70 with no trouble at all. MPG seems normal as does everything else.

Could I try blanking things off -or disconnecting components one at a time such as air flow meter, vac. hoses to EGR etc. etc.??

Any thoughts?

CYRIL
 Posted 8/17/2006 4:08:06 AM
Forum Master Technician

Forum Master Technician - (5,241 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (5,241 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (5,241 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (5,241 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (5,241 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (5,241 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (5,241 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (5,241 reputation)Forum Master Technician - (5,241 reputation)

i still think you ought to see the desil chap about the rattle, if you look on the pump next to the block you will see a rod the corrector is coupled to it, if you have had the rattle sooner or later you will also have a sticking throttle.

please get it looked at

Regards Cyril

zipthecat
 Posted 8/17/2006 4:59:10 AM
Saturday Job

Thanks again Cyril,

Is the advance corrector a small black capsule with three wires going straight into it sitting on its own plate where it appears to be adjustable (at the factory?); which is right on top of the inj. pump? The wires go into their own mini loom and disappear down the rear of the pump and emerge again at the bottom where they go into a connector attached to a bracket on the side of the pump. I can`t see a rod of any description. Don`t worry I`m not about to start tinkering but want to identify what & where the likely culprit is.

Am I right in assuming that this corrector makes automatic adjustments to the injection timing according to load on the engine etc., and the rattle that I experienced twice earlier this summer was the corrector suddenly `failing` and giving far too much advance or retard?..and that, if it is at fault with my current problem, then it may be intermittently making sudden smaller adjustments at odds with the engine` s requirements?

zipthecat
 Posted 8/17/2006 5:24:35 AM
Saturday Job

Hi Cyril

Yes I can now see a rod that attaches to the main `throttle` arm of the injection pump.

CYRIL
 Posted 8/17/2006 1:27:08 PM
Forum Master Technician

that cable and plug is the immobilizer loom going to the fuel cut off valve

Regards Cyril

Reading This Topic

Expand / Collapse